ID my cory?

hehoo

I was walking around the store looking at corys, and saw one that I had never seen before, just completely black, even black eyes, and a white tummy. I'm pretty sure it's blind, as it doesn't really swim away when the net comes for it or anything, and those solid black eyes aren't like the other corys' eyes. Of course, I took it home, named it Penguin. Then I was in another store, a more knowledgeable one, and saw one that looked exactly same, same eyes and all, and the employee told me it was a melanistic cory. Then I came on, thinking it was some sort of funky-opposite-of-albino cory, and hear about 'black corys'. So I'm wondering if mine is the same, are all black ones just melanistic? Does melanistic just mean black? Are they all blind? Now I have even more questions ... lol ... I guess I'm trying to ID mine ... It looks really cool with my albinos ... Is melanistic even a type? I really need to figure out how to use the digital camera.

Tayful

Melanistic does mean black or dark, I'm assuming it comes from the word "melanoma"?

Anyway, I've never seen such a cory, but it's not like I have a huge amount of experience of knowledge with them anyway. Upon Googling "melanistic cory", I couldn't find anything. Hopefully you'll get answers from someone that might know.

Good luck with your new cory though! Keep us updated on him!

Butterfly

Check these out and see what you think

carol

sirdarksol

Melanism is the exact opposite of albinism. It is an excess of melanin (which does link it, name-wise, to melanoma, as melanoma is a cancer that afflicts the melanin-producing cells in the skin). It's a recessive genetic trait. Not sure if melanistic animals suffer the same vision problems of albinos (I had a hamster that would shriek when I opened his cage until I got close enough that he could smell me. He was albino, and couldn't clearly see the thing that was reaching into his cage)

hehoo

So assuming I did this properly, here's a picture of Penguin ... Hope it helps ...

I've heard Penguin looks like a peppered cory, so assuming this is true, why the different look? A goth cory or what? And can you tell if it was born blind? Also, I suspect my albino corys are mainly the aeneus type, though I'm not sure and don't have pics yet, except the black one and one panda, would the two different ones be happier with more of their own type?

Barbrella

Did you miss the link Butterfly gave you?

I'd say that's exactly what your cory is - a black form of schultzei.

Butterfly

Did you miss the link Butterfly gave you?

I'd say that's exactly what your cory is - a black form of schultzei.
There aren't a lot of those around yet and was a good pick-up in any case
carol

hehoo

I didn't miss the link, I looked, but I don't have much confidence in my abilities to judge. I know that's horrible, but I just never know if it only looks the same to me or if it really is the same. Anyway, thank you guys for your help. I love my little penguin.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MissNoodle
Replies
Views
619CoryFan
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question