ID my cory (fun!)

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by pink mermaid, Jan 5, 2013.

1. pink mermaid

pink mermaidValued MemberMember

I just bought some cories from petsmart, I hate to shop there but we seriously lack any good LFS and the one I go to had pygmy cories on order for over 6 months and I couldn't wait. So I bought what they called a julii corydoras catfish. I was thinking it could be either a leopard cory or a three lined cory. I have 4 and plan to get 4 more. I have 8 pink danio, 6 ghost shrimps and a ton of pond snails.

The other issue I am having is that the snails are eating the algae wafers before my cories get to them. Any ideas?

DSC_0521_zps13abf86b.jpg

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

It is indeed a julii cory:)

Cories aren't herbivores, they appreciate sinking catfish pellets and the like:;th

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, algae is not naturally a part of their diet. They may eat the wafers, but if the snails are out competing the corys, the corys are just not interested in the food. A high quality staple food is best.

4. Faber1790Valued MemberMember

When I had cories I feed them nls h2o stable wafers. They loved them. They also gobbled up any nls thera+ a the tetras didn't eat.

5. OP
    OP
    pink mermaid

Yes they didn't touch the algae wafers, but the snails did. I had some shrimp pellets I think they ate, they are very secretive. Any ideas what I should feed them? We buy our food at an lfs that s
    ells only spectrum brand. Or are the shrimp pellets good?

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

7. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

It is actually a trilineatus. Trilineatus are commonly mislabeled as julii as they appear to be very similar. Juliis have small dots on their heads while trilineatus have little squiggly lines. They'll still be fine in your tank though.

8. OP
    OP
    pink mermaid

9. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

Those cories are just like mine and they're my favorite. I feed mine a variety of foods. Kensfish has some catfish sticks that they seem to enjoy, but I've used shrimp pellets and NLS thera-a as well. They'll eat pretty much anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice