I'd Like To See Photos Of Low-tech/low-light Tanks With Staurogyne Repens And/or Dwarf Sag

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by JoeCamaro, Apr 19, 2018.

1. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Hello Folks.
    I am looking to buy some foreground plants for my low-tech/low-light 46G Bow Front.
    I am hesitating between S repens and dwarf sag.

I have seen pictures of both online, but I don't know what set-ups they are, so they may be high-tech/high-light.

I would like to see what to expect, hear any tips and suggestions if possible.

Thanks.
    Joe

2. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

S. repens in low light will shoot up and don't look pretty. That's my experience with it.

3. j

jscherman2 Valued Member Member

Funny, I just ordered some S repens earlier, and some dwarf Amazon swords. Hoping the S repens looks alright!

4. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

That's what I feared.
    Thanks

5. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

You have a low tech set up as well?

6. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Yeah I agree, avoid s. repens on low light. unless your going to have time to trim and re-plant very often. Dwarf sag would work how ever still might take a while to spread on low light and might get a little bit tall

7. j

jscherman2 Valued Member Member

I do! The new plants should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

8. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

Great. I'll keep my eyes open for updates on how they do for you.

9. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

For low tech? Definitely dwarf sag. Is long as it is getting adequate nutrition and at decent light in the correct spectrum, it should spread and prosper. Mine is currently quite tall... a good 8" in places, but this is because my lighting is only a Finnex Stingray on a 29 gallon. Thinking of upgrading to a Finnex Planted+ or Fluval 2.0 Plant.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Where might the photos be?

11. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

My lowtech setups with dwarf sag
    3g Walstad bowl
    29g subtropical community
    10g betta and adf IMG_20180417_112457.jpg IMG_20180328_111309.jpg IMG_20180328_111234.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

13. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

The secret is my substrate. The Walstad uses organic potting soil capped with 2mm ceramic BB's (I thought they looked cooler than gravel or sand), the other two use Marfied Controsoil.

14. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

I have a 5 gallon that I think I'll do the Walstand method. My 46g has plain pool sand.

15. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I saw your 46, beautiful tank btw. As long as it has root tabs it should be fine. :)

Walstad method requires a lot of patience, but plant growth is unmatched. My bowl has been running livestock-free for over a month and a half (aside from hitch-hiker snails) and in May should be ready for shrimp. No filter, no heater, no fertilizers, just an airstone for circulation and gas exchange.

16. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

Thank you so much :shame:

Yes, I use root tabs.

I know it will take months to get the tank balanced with the Walstand method. I do not know a whole lot about it, but I will surely read more before I do anything. I'm not in a hurry and I think patience will pay off.

Thanks for sharing your tanks.

17. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

@Fahn Do you have the book, found info in forums, watched videos on YouTube or a combination of all?

18. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I have Diana Walstad's book but haven't gotten very far. When I have free time I tend to watch videos or play games rather than read.

Most of my knowledge is from forum interaction and my own personal experience in the hobby. Dustin of Dustin's Fish Tanks on YouTube is a big advocate of dirted tanks and has several videos on how to set them up and maintain them.

19. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

Thank you.

20. alicia_lynn

alicia_lynn Valued Member Member

I have both s. repens and dwarf sagittarius in my tank. No CO2, and low/medium light. They've only been in there a week so I'm not sure exactly how they'll turn out but they seem to be doing okay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice