I'd Like To See Photos Of Low-tech/low-light Tanks With Staurogyne Repens And/or Dwarf Sag

  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Hello Folks.
I am looking to buy some foreground plants for my low-tech/low-light 46 gallon Bow Front.
I am hesitating between S repens and dwarf sag.

I have seen pictures of both online, but I don't know what set-ups they are, so they may be high-tech/high-light.

I would like to see what to expect, hear any tips and suggestions if possible.

Thanks.
Joe
 

Baba

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
482
Points
108
Experience
4 years
S. repens in low light will shoot up and don't look pretty. That's my experience with it.
 

jscherman2

Valued Member
Messages
79
Reaction score
33
Points
53
Experience
5 years
JoeCamaro said:
Hello Folks.
I am looking to buy some foreground plants for my low-tech/low-light 46 gallon Bow Front.
I am hesitating between S repens and dwarf sag.

I have seen pictures of both online, but I don't know what set-ups they are, so they may be high-tech/high-light.

I would like to see what to expect, hear any tips and suggestions if possible.

Thanks.
Joe
Funny, I just ordered some S repens earlier, and some dwarf Amazon swords. Hoping the S repens looks alright!
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Baba said:
S. repens in low light will shoot up and don't look pretty. That's my experience with it.
That's what I feared.
Thanks
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
jscherman2 said:
Funny, I just ordered some S repens earlier, and some dwarf Amazon swords. Hoping the S repens looks alright!
You have a low tech set up as well?
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Yeah I agree, avoid s. repens on low light. unless your going to have time to trim and re-plant very often. Dwarf sag would work how ever still might take a while to spread on low light and might get a little bit tall
 

jscherman2

Valued Member
Messages
79
Reaction score
33
Points
53
Experience
5 years
JoeCamaro said:
You have a low tech set up as well?
I do! The new plants should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
jscherman2 said:
I do! The new plants should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.
Great. I'll keep my eyes open for updates on how they do for you.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,557
Reaction score
3,741
Points
458
For low tech? Definitely dwarf sag. Is long as it is getting adequate nutrition and at decent light in the correct spectrum, it should spread and prosper. Mine is currently quite tall... a good 8" in places, but this is because my lighting is only a Finnex Stingray on a 29 gallon. Thinking of upgrading to a Finnex Planted+ or Fluval 2.0 Plant.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,162
Reaction score
6,152
Points
758
Experience
3 years
Where might the photos be?
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,557
Reaction score
3,741
Points
458
My lowtech setups with dwarf sag
3 gallon Walstad bowl
29 gallon subtropical community
10 gallon betta and adf
IMG_20180417_112457.jpg
IMG_20180328_111309.jpg
IMG_20180328_111234.jpg
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
My lowtech setups with dwarf sag
3 gallon Walstad bowl
29 gallon subtropical community
10 gallon betta and adf
IMG_20180417_112457.jpg
IMG_20180328_111309.jpg
IMG_20180328_111234.jpg
Wow! I love your tanks!
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,557
Reaction score
3,741
Points
458
JoeCamaro said:
Wow! I love your tanks!
The secret is my substrate. The Walstad uses organic potting soil capped with 2mm ceramic BB's (I thought they looked cooler than gravel or sand), the other two use Marfied Controsoil.
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
The secret is my substrate. The Walstad uses organic potting soil capped with 2mm ceramic BB's (I thought they looked cooler than gravel or sand), the other two use Marfied Controsoil.
I have a 5 gallon that I think I'll do the Walstand method. My 46 gallon has plain pool sand.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,557
Reaction score
3,741
Points
458
JoeCamaro said:
I have a 5 gallon that I think I'll do the Walstand method. My 46 gallon has plain pool sand.
I saw your 46, beautiful tank btw. As long as it has root tabs it should be fine.

Walstad method requires a lot of patience, but plant growth is unmatched. My bowl has been running livestock-free for over a month and a half (aside from hitch-hiker snails) and in May should be ready for shrimp. No filter, no heater, no fertilizers, just an airstone for circulation and gas exchange.
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
I saw your 46, beautiful tank btw. As long as it has root tabs it should be fine.

Walstad method requires a lot of patience, but plant growth is unmatched. My bowl has been running livestock-free for over a month and a half (aside from hitch-hiker snails) and in May should be ready for shrimp. No filter, no heater, no fertilizers, just an airstone for circulation and gas exchange.
Thank you so much :shame:

Yes, I use root tabs.

I know it will take months to get the tank balanced with the Walstand method. I do not know a whole lot about it, but I will surely read more before I do anything. I'm not in a hurry and I think patience will pay off.

Thanks for sharing your tanks.
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Fahn Do you have the book, found info in forums, watched videos on YouTube or a combination of all?
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,557
Reaction score
3,741
Points
458
JoeCamaro said:
Fahn Do you have the book, found info in forums, watched videos on YouTube or a combination of all?
I have Diana Walstad's book but haven't gotten very far. When I have free time I tend to watch videos or play games rather than read.

Most of my knowledge is from forum interaction and my own personal experience in the hobby. Dustin of Dustin's Fish Tanks on YouTube is a big advocate of dirted tanks and has several videos on how to set them up and maintain them.
 
  • Thread starter

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
746
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Thank you.
 

alicia_lynn

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
73
Points
63
Experience
1 year
I have both s. repens and dwarf sagittarius in my tank. No CO2, and low/medium light. They've only been in there a week so I'm not sure exactly how they'll turn out but they seem to be doing okay.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom