I'd Like a Planted Tank - With a Pleco

1. RubyDragon

RubyDragon New Member Member

I really don't know much about planted tanks. I picked up some wisteria last night and have it floating for my betta. It's corralled by his tube and he loves it.

I have a 55 gallon with an 8 inch common pleco, 7 rasboras and the betta. I'm planning on putting in a terracotta cave for the pleco. Is it possible to encourage plants to grow on top of the terracotta? I'm hesitant to put them in the gravel with him and he occasionally digs up the plastic plants. I've switched most to weighted plastic plants.

I was thinking more wisteria and Anubias, plants that can grow in low light.

2. atc84

atc84 Well Known Member Member

terracotta pots don't have much edge to them, so it might be hard to get plants to grab onto them. you can tie the anubias on it with a rubber band or string, the wisteria may not survive tied to it though, depending on how much natural sunlight gets into the tank, since im assuming you don't have a plant light. :)

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You can use superglue to attach plants to the terracotta, just make sure the only ingredient is cyanoacrylate

4. OP
    OP
    RubyDragon

RubyDragon New Member Member

No plant light yet, just whatever came in the hoods. I'll try either the rubber band or the super glue, depending on what size terracotta I get. Thanks!

Advertisement