Id help, please

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by slashgash, Mar 29, 2012.

1. slashgash

slashgashValued MemberMember

I just recieved a 20 gallon tank from someone off craigslist, with some fish. They told me the fish were sunset platys, some kind of tetra, and an algae eater. I need help figuring out what kind of tetra and what kind of algae eater. Here is the algae eater:

sorry its such a bad picture, taken with a cell phone camera. If you need a clearer picture i can get out my digital camera.

And heres one of the tetras.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    slashgash

You're right about the chinese algae eater. But I just looked on google, and the tetras look like black skirt tetras.

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

That does not look like a BlackSkirt tetra... It isn't black :D and yes that does look like a Chinese algae eater. They aren't exactly a great community fish. Research it to make sure you want to keep something like that. If I'm not mistake, they get pretty big.

5. OP
    OP
    slashgash

The pictures of black skirt tetras i saw on google are silver with black vertical lines and a black fin that kinda looks like a skirt. And thats what my tetras look like. lol. And ill definately research the chinese algae eater.

6. I keep fish

It doesnt look this:
    Black Skirt tetra

It looks like this :D
    Silver Tetra

Sources:  

7. OP
    OP
    slashgash

No, the picture i took was just crappy. lol. It looks eaxctly like the black skirt tetra.

8. OP
    OP
    slashgash

Im going to take a better picture

9. OP
    OP
    slashgash

This picture is a little better, but not much

10. I keep fish

I would say you may have two different kinds.

11. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Those look like stressed out black skirt tetras.

Then I agree the algae eater looks like a CAE

12. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Nope those are definitely Blackskirts. They sometimes don't show as much color as others and they don't photograph well. Plus, being so common in the pet trade, it is more likely that it is a Blackskirt and not a Silver Tetra.

13. OP
    OP
    slashgash

Thank you for all the help :)

Im not going to keep this chinese algae eater though, from what ive read they can grow to be 11 inches and are very aggressive as adults. I dont want my fish eaten and a 20 gallon is too small for an 11 inch long fish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice