Id help... on this SW critter... he looks dangerous lol Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by ibiaquariums, Mar 22, 2010.

1. i

ibiaquariums Valued Member Member

Noticed this critter lurking in my sandbed of my SW tank by the lost jewels lol... can anybody help... with his ID?!

Its grown from nothing, have never ever noticed it before, this morning was the first time... i got back home and took pics, now ive just posted them... hes bin in the same position all day.. so it may not move...

Any help is great help!! :)

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    i

These pics were the best of the bunch!!! I took loads too lol! sorry.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Aiptasia. It's a pest anemone that spreads quickly. I suggest nuking it before it gets out of hand. Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X work nicely, or you can use a syringe with lemon juice, boiling water, or kalk paste to kill it.

4. OP
    OP
    i

Oh just my luck! Fort it looked bit dodgy looool.

Wait... do you have any idea wether its any good for the water quality? any idea what it feeds on?

Is their any known occasions of where they've been sumped or in refs???

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. harpua2002

Water quality is pretty much irrelevant for aiptasia. It's probably the most hardy thing in your tank. ;)

You don't want it in your sump. It will spread to the display. Reefers do not intentionally keep aiptasia. It's a pest and can sting our expensive corals.

It's feeding on light and on nutrients in the water. There's no way for you to cut off its food supply. Just nuke it. :p

6. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

yes this is a must...... KILL IT SOON

7. N

Naeusu Valued Member Member

it looks like it's in the substrate so maybe you can just scoop it out of the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    i

awesome feed back people! I scooooooooooooooooped that muva right out of their... i left him in fresh air pahahahahah, how do yah like me now baby! Ill have to keep an eye out for any others.. Why couldnt it have been a nice coral :(

9. Morgan111

10. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

if it was it would have been $50.00 .....LOL

11. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

If you find more - and they do tend to spread - get yourself a peppermint shrimp. They're good aptasia eaters. There's two kinds of peps, though - and one doesn't eat the anemone. Can't remember which of the top of my head.

Copperband butterfly eats them, too, but they're quite delicate fish and should only be introduced to an established very peaceful tank.

12. Goldwing_Don

Copperband butterfly fish are not reef safe fish be very carefull when adding to a tank

13. Morgan111

my CBB never touches my corals but he loves COCO WORMS and Feather Dusters

14. harpua2002

A CBB is not suitable for a 40 gallon IMO. Peppermint shrimp are a good choice.

15. Goldwing_Don

Mine thought Mushrooms were good food, thats why he does not live here anymore..lol

16. Morgan111

didnt see the 40 gal tank size... very true

17. OP
    OP
    i

lol@goldwing $50, hahaha!

Member i said i scooped it out? Well i did just that and left it to dry lol... but now ive gone to look for it within this dry sand... i cant find any trace of it... it is nowhere to be seen in my tank either, and im 100% sure i got it out. Because as i scooped it out the sand substrate went over it, like a land slide would a person lol!

Do they maybe.. dismember them-selfs.. or dissolve instantly or anything/something.. i find this so weird... it is nowhere to be seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

Copperbands definitely not suitable for a 40 gallon. Sorry - didn't see that part. They also tend to get bullied as they have absolutely no defenses at all and require pristine water conditions.

19. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I can see the headlines now!!!

Mutant Aipitasia Destroys Texas!!!

Run For Your Lives!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

It's probably living in your septic tank as we speak..... duh dum duh dum duh dum..... (theme from Jaws). :;laughing

20. OP
    OP
    i

loooooooool.

Ok im scared now.. jokes over lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice