ID fish from old dead lake?

1. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

the lake behind my house hadnt sustained life in it for years before not even plant life. this year magicly the lake came back to its former self plants grew in and now the lake is over populated with these fish can anyone id them for me i dont know how they got in or populated so fast i go down to the lake every summer to check the water and it was always poisened now its fine. but there are millions of these small schooling fish schools of at least 20 fish each and the schools never change members or combine they are like sub cultures.
    photo 1 (17).JPG
    photo 2 (16).JPG

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

Kind of reminds me of a mosquito fish ?

3. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

possibly maybe someone put them in there?

4. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Are those livebearers? It looks like it.
    I have ones that live down here that look alot like those. Idk the names of them but they are in harsh waters down here also. I'm thinking these guys are very hardy and can handle bad water pretty well. Hmm ???

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i believe they are live bearers the females have deep strips and the males are clear or silver the fry are clear until they reach adult size i am trying to breed a pair to see if they are

6. escapay Well Known Member Member

Look like livebearers of some sort.

7. MegsyAxolotl Initiate Member

They look like misquito fish to me.

8. Slug Well Known Member Member

Gambusia, I used to have a tank of them. They are livebearers. The females are larger than the males.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Female
    [​IMG]

Male
    [​IMG]

9. happykittylover Initiate Member

i had a few of those from a lake where i live because my frog tank had mosquito larva. They are like a plain guppy. they come from the same family and they are called mosquito fish if not speaking scientifically. Careful though, if you choose to keep them they are aggressive and even more so when they are with a group. the more there are of them the more aggressive they become. they wont kill each other though. i saw them attack a large blue gill that could eat them whole. the entire group chased it off. they also get black stripes under their eyes when something is going on. generally when they are stressed or excited. i hope this helps.