Id Female Killifish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yesterday I found this little bugger in a tank with Chinese algae eaters and decided to give it a go. There was no label and even the cashier hadn't a clue what it was. I said "I want the killifish" and she was like "so that's what is it!" and it was given to me for free. My best guess is a female lyretail but I've never owned a killi nor done too much research on them. Any tidbits of advice are welcome.

I admit she's looking pretty rough but I was able to get her eating some frozen brine shrimp. For now she's in a lightly planted 10gal with a new piece of mopani wood that is leaching tannin like no tomorrow, seems much more happy than when she was in the shop tank. I assume she was brought in by another customer as she seems to know that a hand means food and she's not too shy.

female killifish 1.JPG
female killifish 2.JPG
female killifish 3.JPG

Crystaldj

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yesterday I found this little bugger in a tank with Chinese algae eaters and decided to give it a go. There was no label and even the cashier hadn't a clue what it was. I said "I want the killifish" and she was like "so that's what is it!" and it was given to me for free. My best guess is a female lyretail but I've never owned a killi nor done too much research on them. Any tidbits of advice are welcome.

I admit she's looking pretty rough but I was able to get her eating some frozen brine shrimp. For now she's in a lightly planted 10gal with a new piece of mopani wood that is leaching tannin like no tomorrow, seems much more happy than when she was in the shop tank. I assume she was brought in by another customer as she seems to know that a hand means food and she's not too shy.

View attachment 424479 View attachment 424481 View attachment 424483
I've got one just like her, and the only conclusion we came to was that she is a Golden Wonder? This may not be true though because none of the people I asked here near home are Killiefish experts.
I'm waiting to see what the members here say about yours

Lion

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm no Killifish expert, but does resemble some Fundulus sp.
Possibly a young Julisia or Sciadicus?
However I've never really looked into Killies much and so I'm not certain.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've googled the species that both of you've noted but I'm not finding much. Seems like IDing a female is surprisingly difficult. Not that I need to know for sure what species, so long as I know it's a killi the care should be the same as the more common killies.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not a Lyretail, too thick bodied. Could be a Gardneri, fits best, but could also be a young female Blue Gularis. That's the problem with female Killies, so many of them look alike. A fin clip for genetic analysis would be the only way to identify the species of that female. And that costs a LOT of money.

It's not any Fundulus. Head shape is wrong for any of those. It's not a Golden Wonder, the analfin is too short for an Aplocheilus species.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did some researching on both species. Sounds like the Gardneri stays around 2in and my girl is probably closer to 2-2.5in, but she does look very similar. I'll have to measure her when she's near the glass tomorrow.

The Gularis seems more likely but I do not think she is all that young. I suppose it is hard to say for sure though, let's hope she puts on some weight and gets a least a tiny bit of color or markings to help ID her. She ate some frozen blood worms for super, I don't think I will have any problems with getting her back in shape.

Side note: are all killifish's eyes a big bulbous? I've noticed when feeding she will swim past, then turn around, bump into the food with her face and then grab it, sometimes missing. I suppose with eyes so far about she has problems seeing things directly in front and bellow her head?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gardneri can get over 3.5 inches, and do so quite frequently. I've seen many of them around 4 inches SL at shows. Whatever source said they are a two inch fish is completely ignorant on killifish information.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been betrayed by one of my favorite fish sites. Perhaps they were focusing on a certain subspecies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom