ID and gender

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
@emeraldking ? Shape looks more platy than molly, especially with the dorsal fin but im not familiar with this colouring in either so... i could be wrong.
But i cant tell the gender with the fin like that. Sometimes females can appear to have a pointed fin like males when folded, so i cant say for certain from these photos myself.

Sabit Safwat Rahman

Reaction score
@emeraldking ? Shape looks more platy than molly, especially with the dorsal fin but im not familiar with this colouring in either so... i could be wrong.
But i cant tell the gender with the fin like that. Sometimes females can appear to have a pointed fin like males when folded, so i cant say for certain from these photos myself.
The fin has been like that for the 2/3 hours or so I had it, it has never been fully extended, that's why I'm confused as well. I'm wondering if it is somehow a mix gender or a gender-less fish or something like that

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're Mollies, Platies have a shorter snout and a rounder caudal fin. Gold Dust is a fairly common variety for Mollies. As for sexes, at first glance I would have said male, but a closer look suggests females with stunted analfins, not gonopodiums. Could have something to do with the large amount of black pigment.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're gold dust mollies. No doubts!
This could be a late male. Overhere, some males will be that big (very typical) and female shaped (bodywise) and at some point the analfin becomes pointy. Once that starts, it takes longer to develop a fully developed gonopodium in comparison to a smaller male when he develops a gonopodium. And also the dorsal changes slower into a typical male dorsal. At least, overhere such a late appearance of the masculine characteristics occur from time to time.

Sabit Safwat Rahman

Reaction score
I had bought then as 2 males and four females, but it seems like I'll end up with a 1:1 ratio. are mollies ok as a 1:1, or should I replace the potential late bloomer?

On a side note - my gigantic female sailfin molly just went belly up for no apparent reason this morning. She was more than 3 times the size of the ones in the pic. She had been in a 30g with 6 mbuna and an OB peacock, and they didn't dare mess with her. So I thought she was bulletproof. Kinda bummed tbh. She was happily bullying these guys around last night, and found her dead in the morning, for no apparent reason. I only have guppies, these mollies and some harlequins in the tank, and the mbunas were here till I decided to give them away and get livebearers. She was easily the biggest baddest one of the bunch. Sorry, I know this isn't the right section to vent but couldnt help :(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom