ID algae and how to get rid of it How Do I

1. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Hi all

Since i rehomed my pleco and corycats i stratred to deal with this kind of algae and it does not want to go away despite how much i clean and scrub. It just comes back in days.
    20140701_160800.jpg 20140701_160830.jpg

It grows like tin light brown film wherever it can get attached and if i see it on my anybias leafs and dont rub it off it kills leafs in just week or two
    20140701_160900.jpg

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Looks like diatom algae, is it a relatively new tank?
    Increase the flow to get more oxygen in the water, feed less & increasing the lighting time will also help.
    I'm guessing there are no plants in the tank as it's bare bottomed, adding plants can help as they'll help reduce the amount of nutrients for the algae to feed on

3. virusmk Well Known Member Member

I do have 2 anubias plants attached to driftwood medium to large in size, lights are on 10hrs a day .

Tank is 6 months old and i do have 2 filters in about 8x/h water turnaround.

What can i do to target this thing

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Have you tested your tap water? high nitrates and/or phosphates could be a factor, test the tank water too.
    How big is the tank & how many fish are in it? Overstocking produces more waste & nutrients for algae growth.

5. virusmk Well Known Member Member

@ Coradee Nitrates are under control 10-40ppm max . As I do 4 -5 times a week wc nitrates I would say are not big problem. On the other hand phosphates I have no idea as I do not have phosphate test kit, might need to get one.

My tank is 4 foot tall 300 litres aprox 85g and at the moment I am growing 8 discuses. So I would not say that I am not overstocked. I do feed more but I do frequent wc of 50% 5 times a week

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't keep or know much about Discus except they're messy fish so that could be part of the problem.
    Hopefully a Discus keeper can help you more than I can

7. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Anyway thanks for your efforts to help

8. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

If it is Diatoms, which I agree that it probably is, then it is fairly normal for newer tanks. It is caused by silicates in the water, not nitrates or phosphates. Here is a great link to an article that explains most algae problems....

http://www.guitarfish.org/algae

As noted in the article nerite snails and otocinclus are great helpers in removing the diatoms. In time they will go away by themselves.

Also have you added anything recently like sand or rocks, those may have a lot of silicates in them.

It could also be triggered by your frequent water changes. You shouldn't have to do water changes more often then once a week, unless you are combating some specific problem. Your water could have a higher silicate level, so all the frequent changes are adding more fuel to the fire. Is there a reason for your 4-5 times a week water changes?

If you are trying to combat high nitrates, I would get some plants, specifically some fast easy growers that suck up nitrates like hornwort, anacharis, water wisteria, frogbit, etc. Also add a few nerites, they are diatom machines.

9. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Dolfan i am growing 8 juvi discuses and i do overfeed (i have to feed ) to grow them faster. I did had good results untill recently.
    Saying that i have to do large and frequent wc to keep water as clear as possible, otherwise amonia nitrates will go out of control and kill my fish.
    Also my tap water is a bit hardish so that looks like is fueling talgae growth
    I have 2 anubias nana plants attached to driftwood.

Ive been loocking for nerite snails in my area but its almost impossibl3 to find them as for others i am afraid that if i take few their population might explode out of.control.

Ill try to find otos if not able does pleaco helps?