Ick

1. Iris Trapp

Iris Trapp Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just over a week ago I upped my Cardinal school by 4. I hadn't had much luck getting tetras from petland ( they died within 3 days) so I went to petsmart and got my fish there for the first time.The next day I noticed I couple of white spots, I read a lot about ick and because I have RCS and snails in my tank I can't medicate it. I turned up the temp of my tank slowly to 86 on Sunday and everyone seems to be ok. I noticed no spots Monday night so I did a 20% water change and vacuumed my sand. Tuesday night 3 of my cardinals have spots and today they all seem to be flashing and I have noticed my original cardinals have ripped fins.Since I upped the school all my tetras seem to be very skiddish and darting around the tank, which they didn't do before. So they are stressed.My water parameters are good, I had it tested before I introduced the new fish and I have the test strips. I do weekly water changes.I know it gets worse before it gets better but how long do I wait before I remove all my shrimp and snails and medicate the tank. Poor little fishes.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,799
    Bumping this up for you

3. OP
    OP
    Iris Trapp

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. All the tetras look awful and one is just swimming in circles and starting to loose colour. I thought I caught it early enough when I turned up the heat on Sunday.
    I have a bad feeling that I have a heat resistant strain they all still have the spots, they don't seem to be falling off

4. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +319
    The heat will actually speed up the life cycle of the parasite and eventually kill it. So short-term you will see more spots, but long-term it will eventually die off. After I can no longer see any signs of Ich, I keep the temperature at 86 an extra 10-14 days. All I can say is this works for me. But this brings up a question: do you have a quarantine tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Iris Trapp

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't set one up, I made a rookie mistake and put the new cardinals in my display I will have one for all future purchases.

Unfortunately 1 of the neons has now passed away. It was still swimming a bit this morning but it's upside down now.

6. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Sorry to hear. Check your fish carefully before purchasing. I was going to purchase Angelfish recently, but upon careful examination I saw Ich spots so I left them in the store. Having said that, I lost a Betta a couple months back and the tank was bare with just snails for a long time. The wife and I were shopping in Wal-Mart and I saw a Betta with fin rot, Ich, and bacterial infections. Well, I felt sorry for him, purchased him and nursed him back to health. He is now living in a 10 gallon tank, healthy, and strutting his stuff. He is an awesome color of purple and I am glad that I saved him.

7. OP
    OP
    Iris Trapp

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I will definitely be checking them more carefully. I just didn't realize how rough of shape some fish are in when you buy them, I've only had my tank for about 3 or 4 months.

Thank you