Ick

1. Iris Trapp Initiate Member

Just over a week ago I upped my Cardinal school by 4. I hadn't had much luck getting tetras from petland ( they died within 3 days) so I went to petsmart and got my fish there for the first time.The next day I noticed I couple of white spots, I read a lot about ick and because I have RCS and snails in my tank I can't medicate it. I turned up the temp of my tank slowly to 86 on Sunday and everyone seems to be ok. I noticed no spots Monday night so I did a 20% water change and vacuumed my sand. Tuesday night 3 of my cardinals have spots and today they all seem to be flashing and I have noticed my original cardinals have ripped fins.Since I upped the school all my tetras seem to be very skiddish and darting around the tank, which they didn't do before. So they are stressed.My water parameters are good, I had it tested before I introduced the new fish and I have the test strips. I do weekly water changes.I know it gets worse before it gets better but how long do I wait before I remove all my shrimp and snails and medicate the tank. Poor little fishes.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Iris Trapp Initiate Member

Thank you. All the tetras look awful and one is just swimming in circles and starting to loose colour. I thought I caught it early enough when I turned up the heat on Sunday.
    I have a bad feeling that I have a heat resistant strain they all still have the spots, they don't seem to be falling off

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

The heat will actually speed up the life cycle of the parasite and eventually kill it. So short-term you will see more spots, but long-term it will eventually die off. After I can no longer see any signs of Ich, I keep the temperature at 86 an extra 10-14 days. All I can say is this works for me. But this brings up a question: do you have a quarantine tank?

5. Iris Trapp Initiate Member

I haven't set one up, I made a rookie mistake and put the new cardinals in my display I will have one for all future purchases.

Unfortunately 1 of the neons has now passed away. It was still swimming a bit this morning but it's upside down now.

6. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear. Check your fish carefully before purchasing. I was going to purchase Angelfish recently, but upon careful examination I saw Ich spots so I left them in the store. Having said that, I lost a Betta a couple months back and the tank was bare with just snails for a long time. The wife and I were shopping in Wal-Mart and I saw a Betta with fin rot, Ich, and bacterial infections. Well, I felt sorry for him, purchased him and nursed him back to health. He is now living in a 10 gallon tank, healthy, and strutting his stuff. He is an awesome color of purple and I am glad that I saved him.

7. Iris Trapp Initiate Member

Yes, I will definitely be checking them more carefully. I just didn't realize how rough of shape some fish are in when you buy them, I've only had my tank for about 3 or 4 months.

Thank you