Ick

1. jim55379 Member Member

I have 2 spotted pictus, 2 irradant sharks and 4 tiger barbs in a 20 gal tank. Yesterday I cleaned (vacummed with gravity flow vaccum) and did a 50% water change taking care to keep the water at same temperature and treat for chlorine. About 10 minutes after I was done my catfish started hiding in corners and acting strangely. I turned on flourescent light and my worst fears were confirmed. All the sharks and catfish had the white spots. I immediately treated them with that green liquid and took out the carbon filter. My catfish are not eating right now. Is it possible that the stress I created by poking around in the rocks casued the ick. Can they get it that quickly. Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I lost my entire batch of fish about 2 weeks ago so thought maybe upgrading from a 10 to a 20 gallon tank might help. My water tested ok. A little high on alkaline.

2. jim55379 Member Member

Ich Why is this so common? Could vacuming tank stess them out and cause it?

have 2 spotted pictus, 2 irradant sharks and 4 tiger barbs in a 20 gal tank. Yesterday I cleaned (vacummed with gravity flow vaccum) and did a 50% water change taking care to keep the water at same temperature and treat for chlorine. About 10 minutes after I was done my catfish started hiding in corners and acting strangely. I turned on flourescent light and my worst fears were confirmed. All the sharks and catfish had the white spots. I immediately treated them with that green liquid and took out the carbon filter. My catfish are not eating right now. Is it possible that the stress I created by poking around in the rocks casued the ick. Can they get it that quickly. I did have the other fish before and no problems. The catfish are only about 1 week old and at ten dollars apice are a little pricey to replace every few weeks. Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I lost my entire batch of fish about 2 weeks ago so thought maybe upgrading from a 10 to a 20 gallon tank might help. I treated the last batch for a long time but they all died. What a pain. Partial water changes every day and then add medicaton only to have them die. My water tested ok. A little high on alkaline and I think Kh. Water was between soft and hard. If I lose these catfish I may give this hobby up. It's way too much work and they die anyway. I really love my catfish I hope they make it. Anyone have any comments?

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Re: Ich Why is this so common? Could vacuming tank stess them out and cause it?

Nooooo dont give up!!!!  How long has the tank been set up?  The fish with ich probably did not just then get it, they probably have had it for a bit :(  and i'm guessing by green liquid do you mean an ich medication?  Did you overdose it maybe?  that couldbe causing the catfish problems...They could also have been shocked by the 50% water change, as thats a little big

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I replied to your other post...in fish disease

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

um also what is the tank temp at?

6. jim55379 Member Member

temp is at about 76

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

1) Water changes and gravel vac's are good for your fish and no they don't get ich that fast ;)
    2) Some carfish are sensitive to certain ich medications, especially with copper.
    Turn the temperature up to about 80-82 degrees for 14 days. that should get rid of the ick. It can't survive in the warmer temps.
    3) When you get new fish do you quarentine them? Its really easy to bring ich(or other diseases) home from the fish store and not know it. This can cause your whole tank to be wiped out. Quarentine is your best defense against bringing something home to your other fish. ;)
    Carol

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

jim I merged your two topics on ich together. If you post in more than one place for the same problem  you really don'tget the same benefit as if we are all brainstorming for a solution together. Hope you don't mind the merge.
    Carol

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

yep beat me to it butterfly ;)

10. jim55379 Member Member

Thanks emma and Butterfly for your help and advise. I am trying to get up the nerve again to put some more fish in my tank.. This time I will try by the book. How long should I leave the aquraruim cycle before I put in fish? all my fish were fine until I bought the catfish. They may have been infected. Next time I will put them in a quarantine tank for about a month and see if they live. I was afraid to fry my fish so left the temp on at about 75-78 degrees. But next time I think it is a better alternative to that medicine. I tried the tablets they don't work. The blue liquid is stronger It killed the fish quicker than the ick did I think. I washed my tank and rocks with a mild vinegar water combination. I rinsed very well and has been dry and empty for about a week . Will this be enough to kill the residual ick. Also should I keep the temp a little warmer than 75-78. there is a little fluctuations and don't want a fish fry. I have one 50 watt heater for a 20 gallon tank. Is this enough or should I get 2? Thanks butterfly for moving the 2 questions together. Do you have any advice on some tougher fish? Are those irradant sharks and pictus cats normally a weaker species?

11. jim55379 Member Member

I noticed emma you and butterfly said some catfish are sensitive to copper. I think that blue stuff was metahamine or something like that. I didn't see any copper in the ingredients. am I missing something here? Catfish and sharks do not have scales right? It said something about that in the instructions that scaleless fish are more sensitve to the medication. I did see those white jellylike things floating in the water. I should have removed my tigers right away and they may have been saved a slow death ??? 8) :eek:

12. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Most fish species will breed no matter if its 75 degrees or 82 degrees. Only a few more delicate species wont breed unless its a certain temperature (otherwise how would they survive in the wild? the temp isnt always constant in the wild) you will have better luck breeding at the breeding temp, but keeping it below that shouldnt do that much...

13. jim55379 Member Member

thanks emma but not breeding the fish just talking about the jellylike stuff that comes off the fish when they have ick. I want to fry the disease next time..

14. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

I keep my 20 gallon tank at 78 degres wit a 100 wat heater.

15. jim55379 Member Member

was that turned up all the way or not? thanks for the reply

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Most heaters have temperature measurements marked on them. Set it at the temp you want, leave it over night and then drop a thermometer in and see what the temp is. If it's lower than you set it raise the temp again, if it's higher then lower teh temp. This is how you can tell where to set your heater to get the temp you want.
    Carol