Ick With Snails In Tank?

1. B

Boon40 Initiate Member

Hi, first time poster. I've been battling ick for about a month now in my 10 gallon with 1 Betta and 4 peppered cory cats. First I tried Tetra ick guard for 10 days at half dose as that was recommended by the box for sensitive scaleless fish, didn't work. Then I ordered an adjustable heater and set it to 88F and added a low dose of aquarium salt, waited two weeks and it's still there. Tried API super ick cure, again at half dose as it said to on the bottle, and it seemed like that was going to work so I added my quarantined Nerite snails to the tank, and the ick has gotten even worse. Should I put the snails back in the 5.5 quarantine tank and keep them there while I use the super ick cure again? From what I've read it seems I've got a heat resistant strain of the parasite? I don't know. Please help, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Hey, I'm so sorry you're going through this, I know what it's like to deal with a disease for weeks on end. I wouldn't recommend adding in the snails, as most ich medications contain copper, which is very toxic to invertebrates like snails. I'd move the snails back to quarantine.
    I don't have experience with Ich so I'm sorry I can't help more. I hope this works out for you.