Ick Water Temp Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 29 gallon about 2 months old with ick. I read the best option is raising water temp to 86 degrees for 2 weeks. All my fish tamp ranges seem to top out around 80. My question is can basically any fish most likely tolerate 86 degree water for a short period of time; a 2 week duration anyways, at least to destroy the ick?

Fish include

Cherry barbs, mollies, guppies, blood fins and tetras

Thank you

Last edited:

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They'll do fine for a short term period. Long term can hurt though.

So if you want to do the heat route slowly increase it to 86 and do water changes.

If you don't want to do the heat method you can always due medication.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't have those species unless you have flame tetras. I used heat and water changes (every other day, temp match the water) and cured ich without meds or disrupting the cycle. I raised the temp about a degree every hour or so and am now in the process of lowering it. Raising the temp simply speeds the cycle of ich so your fish don't have them on them for as long. Only temp above 89 will kill them.

Just watch the fish for stress as you raise the temp. Drop the water level if you have HOB or add an airstone to increase oxygen exchange since warmer water has less oxygen.

Good water changes will definitely help. I changed water every other day and did a good substrate/decor vac each time to get the spores out. Just remember that even if you don't see ich on the fish that the spores (trophonts I think they are called) are still in the water/on the substrate and decor. They will die without a host - but getting them out of the aquarium is your best bet.

Good luck!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are going to try heat only.... Vacuum your substrate daily or you are wasting your time. Also, some strains of ich can survive temps much higher than 86. Temps not suitable for fish for any period of time. Don't crank your heater up all at once do it a degree or so at a time, watch for stress and if you don't have a bubbler add one as the oxygen content is lower the warmer you get your water.

Paraguard is what I useas its safe for even the most sensitive fish and shrimp. Meds fix ich so easily and inexpensive I highly recommend them. I'm not a meds person either, very much a water change person but I don't see the need to stress stock with daily water changes, vacuuming everything, and high temps when there is much more effective and less stressful options available.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 29 gallon about 2 months old with ick. I read the best option is raising water temp to 86 degrees for 2 weeks. All my fish tamp ranges seem to top out around 80. My question is can basically any fish most likely tolerate 86 degree water for a short period of time; a 2 week duration anyways, at least to destroy the ick?

Fish include

Cherry barbs, mollies, guppies, blood fins and tetras

Thank you
I strongly suggest the medication route too. I've been an aquarium hobbyist for over 30 years and have had to deal with ich twice. Nowadays there are soooo many safe treatments for ich that are not only safe for fish, but also won't disrupt your biological system. The type of treatment used for ich is not an antibiotic, it's an antiparacitic and is gotten rid of quickly after treatment by carbon and partial water changes. It's a lot safer than lowering oxygen and raising the metabolism of the fish than playing with temperatures in your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 28 66.7%

Top Bottom