15 Gallon Tank Ick treatment - still not enough?

cody1133

So I currently have a unique situation. I started aquarium keeping about a month ago, I've already learned several lessons, watched hours of youtube understanding everything I can about aquariums. I actually have a 15 Gallon Fluval Omni which currently has a Silver Molly in it. I was sold two of them by petsmart, when asked what the hardiest saltwater fish was they had (aquarium still cycling, will do fishless next time I set one up.) and yes you heard me right, they sold me a pair of silver mollies for my saltwater tank. One made it and then got sick after finding out that these fish were not kept in saltwater (they said "tropical community aquarium" and I believed that meant saltwater, I am smarter now). I woke up to the silver molly with many hair like attachments and covered in a mucus of some kind. I Purchased and used Lifeguard general Cure because I didn't know what was wrong with the molly entirely so I figured broad spectrum would work. The mucus and hairs cleared off in one day, I continued the full 5 day treatment, carbon removed and waited another 24 hours. After that It was apparent that the molly still had many spots on her and it now resembled ick, so I got a bottle of imagitarium parasite remedy and have now dosed the full treatment time on it. So a full two rounds of medicating this fish, and I still see around 3 specks I believe are ick. I still have the carbon out, should I go for a 3rd round of treatment?

Nianichole

I'm also new, so not an expert and someone else will probably have a better answer, but I'm just wondering, is the molly still in saltwater?

It almost sounds like a reaction with the slime coat to saltwater environment. If the fish is tank bred it's highly likely it's only been in freshwater. Molly's can thrive in brackish water, but I don't know if this fish is up for life in a saltwater tank. If it does have Ich, the continued stress may make it difficult to get rid of.

I also believe for treating Ich in a saltwater environment you need a medication specifically for saltwater, like Ich-X Saltwater. If you're freshwater you can use the regular Ich-X.

cody1133

The Silver Molly is still in a Saltwater Tank, I only have a QT saltwater tank and a display Saltwater, I have a Dalmation Molly in QT and seems to be doing fine, though this one was drip acclimated instead of just temperature acclimated, which is likely why he/she had such a severe reaction, the QT molly is doing just fine in a 1.026 enviroment, but is likely because they were drip acclimated. I am using a parasite remedy for both fresh/saltwater. So I think the beginning was a slime coat reaction they got over, but he defintely had ich, which has gone down, but is still persisting after almost 3 weeks.

Nianichole

cody1133 said:
The Silver Molly is still in a Saltwater Tank, I only have a QT saltwater tank and a display Saltwater, I have a Dalmation Molly in QT and seems to be doing fine, though this one was drip acclimated instead of just temperature acclimated, which is likely why he/she had such a severe reaction, the QT molly is doing just fine in a 1.026 enviroment, but is likely because they were drip acclimated. I am using a parasite remedy for both fresh/saltwater. So I think the beginning was a slime coat reaction they got over, but he defintely had ich, which has gone down, but is still persisting after almost 3 weeks.
Someone with more experience will need to chime in then. I don't know enough to definitively say what you should do at this point.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom