Ick treatment advice

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am treating my quarantine tank with one albino pleco and two emeralds corydoras for ick currently. I will also mention these fish are incredibly small. The pleco is maybe the size of my pinky nail. The corys aren't much larger.

I used API Super Ick Cure yesterday for the first time. The label says after 48 hours to do a 25% water change and treat the tank again. My question is, do I follow the label or should I follow the advice of other experienced fish keepers and do daily water changes and treatments?

Every video I've watched on how to treat ick has advised to do large daily water changes and remedicate the tank. Also many of the articles I've read advise the same.

It makes more sense to me to do daily water changes because of the ick life cycle. I just want some more expert advice from real people before I make my final decision lol.

Thanks in advance!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In my opinion you should follow the label directions. If you use the medication but then do big frequent water changes it seems like you're just diluting the medication.

The frequent big water changes are probably more important if you're using that combined with heat only and not medicating.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just battled ich in one of my tanks first time. I heated to 84-85 and medicated with kordon rid ich plus. Did 30% water changes daily for a week while medication. Then did a 75% and turned heat to 86 ran carbo for the day and just took it out will lower temps next water change. 5 days ich fell off the fish and 2 days of medicating after then heat

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JettsPapa said:
In my opinion you should follow the label directions. If you use the medication but then do big frequent water changes it seems like you're just diluting the medication.

The frequent big water changes are probably more important if you're using that combined with heat only and not medicating.
I appreciate this, thank you.
I can see how it seems like the medication is being diluted with that method. Really I would be making it stronger because I would remedicate the tank after the water change with the original dose. So it would have what is left from the original dose, plus another. Every water change would make it stronger.
I am trying to keep the heat up on this tank but unfortunately the heater I have for it is proving to be worthless and I'm having a hard time keeping the temps at 80°. I plan on fixing that issue as soon as I'm able.

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rcslade124 said:
I just battled ich in one of my tanks first time. I heated to 84-85 and medicated with kordon rid ich plus. Did 30% water changes daily for a week while medication. Then did a 75% and turned heat to 86 ran carbo for the day and just took it out will lower temps next water change. 5 days ich fell off the fish and 2 days of medicating after then heat
Thank you for the reply!
I am trying so hard to get the temperature up in this tank but I apparently bought the wrong heater for it lol. This one is absolutely worthless and I'm even trying to heat the tank with a space heater. That isn't working either lol. This means I'll be having to treat them longer, but the meds should still work even if I can't get the temp higher.
What medication did you use? *EDIT* I just read where you already told me that you used kordon rid ick plus... sorry hehe

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaNormus said:
I appreciate this, thank you.
I can see how it seems like the medication is being diluted with that method
Every water change would make it stronger
I am trying to keep the heat up on this tank but unfortunately the heater I have for it is proving to be worthless and I'm having a hard time keeping the temps at 80°. I plan on fixing that issue as soon as I'm able.
I'm not at all sure that's a good idea either. Having the medication stronger than recommended may harm your fish.

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree JettsPapa. I'm also conflicted because I understand the ick lifecycle and I feel that daily water changes are necessary to help combat it. I'm also concerned because this medication kills the beneficial bacteria in the tank. I could have an ammonia spike if I don't do daily water changes.
I was also taught my whole life to follow the label on medications lol. I'm very conflicted on what to do here

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok yes when you add the meds it will stay in tank. Make sure you have no carbon in the filter or it will filter out. You need to do 30% water change to cut the amount in the tank down before each use. Yes you are slowly adding a little more to the tank since your only changing 30%. But this acclimate the fish to the meds in my theory. As long as you can get the heat in the 80° it will speed the life of ich. The meds handle the rest.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Make sure the meds have formalin and malachite green in them. Or malachite green salt

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rcslade124 said:
Ok yes when you add the meds it will stay in tank. Make sure you have no carbon in the filter or it will filter out. You need to do 30% water change to cut the amount in the tank down before each use. Yes you are slowly adding a little more to the tank since your only changing 30%. But this acclimate the fish to the meds in my theory. As long as you can get the heat in the 80° it will speed the life of ich. The meds handle the rest.
No carbon in the tank because I like to use tannins and it also filters that out. I appreciate your outlook on conditioning the fish for higher doses. That makes me feel better about the meds building up in the tank.
The ingredients are Benzaldehyde Green and PVP (whatever that is). I had API Super Ick Cure on hand already as I purchased some meds to have on hand just in case I had an emergency. I live in a small town, I can't usually just run out to the store and grab fish meds. I would have to drive over an hour to find that kinda store. So when I went out months ago to stock up on the meds I thought I might need in a pinch, this is what was available to me. Now I'm stuck with it lol.
I can add aquarium salt, although I already had some in the tank as a preventative measure before I added the fish. The pleco still presented white spots after 4 days

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just keep heat as high as you can and do 30% water changes with good substrate cleaning and use the meds you have you can beat it.

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you very much Rcslade124
I am doing what I can I suppose lol. Luckily I decided against substate for this tank so that makes my life much easier. As I mentioned before, the heater situation isn't great but I can at least keep it around 80°. I'm leaning towards a 50% water change daily and adding new meds since the label recommends a 25% change every 48 hours with new meds. I think that math werks lol
I tried really hard to be prepared for these new fish! Here I am, finding myself unprepared once again. Better than the last time, but improvements still to be made!

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I don't think daily 50% would be better since the meds can only attack the parasite while they free swim so by replacing the water 50% daily you severely dilute the medication, making it less effective against what you are fighting.

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you everyone who replied. I was very conflicted when I posted this and I feel much better about it now :) Thank you all again! I appreciate you guys took time out of your day to help me out.

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
I don't think daily 50% would be better since the meds can only attack the parasite while they free swim so by replacing the water 50% daily you severely dilute the medication, making it less effective against what you are fighting.
Thanks for replying FinalFins. I can see how it seems that way. As we discussed earlier in this thread I would also be remedicating the tank after each water change with another dose, ultimately making the meds stronger than before.

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins, that is definitely a huge fear I have. I'm also very concerned about the ammonia levels tho. This is only a 5 gallon tank and this medication surely kills the beneficial bacteria keeping it balanced. I know what the effects of excess ammonia are and that honestly scares me more than the meds lol. I also know how the ick lifecycle works and it makes so much more sense to do daily water changes based just on that information. Even tho it is a big risk not knowing if this will over medicate my fish, I still feel that the daily water changes and using the meds inconsistent with their labeling will be more beneficial than not. I hope lol

In the end I have to see this as a learning experience. If I don't try I guess I will never know. I appreciate the advice and the courage I received to do what needs to be done!
I'll make sure to keep you all updated

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just follow the bottle of ich treatment and clean substrate well amd keep heat high as possible you got this

OP
BettaNormus

BettaNormus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rcslade124 said:
Just follow the bottle of ich treatment and clean substrate well amd keep heat high as possible you got this
This is my whole issue lol. The bottle says 25% water change after 48 hours and add more meds. That information conflicts with what I've learned on how to combat ick. Everything I've read in articles, forums and watched in videos recommends daily water changes regardless of the brand of meds they use.
I've checked the levels and everything is fine as of right now. BUT I won't be home from work until way after the 48 hour mark to do a water change tomorrow. If there is an ammonia spike between now and then, there's nothing I can do about it. I know I can add prime and that's supposed to help, but it hasn't helped me in the past with ammonia levels so I don't entirely trust it.
Now that I'm really thinking about it, I'm only doing the change 16 hours early...I can wait a few more hours make it a late night and do it only 13 hours early lol.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just do your water change when you are ready to add more meds. Take the worry out. It will be in the tank a little longer but I don't see it hurting it. But then again neither will doing it earlier. Just do the water change before you add more and you should be fine. I didnt kill my bacteria with the treatments. Does it say that you will kill it on the bottle

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom