Ick question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mistycheri, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mistycheriValued MemberMember

My fish are rubbing against plants and rocks like they have ick, but I don't see any spots on them. Could it be something else wrong with them?

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Most fish may do this occasionally, but if they are all doing it you might have a problem. It could be a number of things, so I really can't help you w/out more info. Please post your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, any parasites you see (observe the fish very closely), any any other unusual behaviors.

3. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I checked my water readings right after I posted and this is what it was:
    PH-High -- 7.4
    Ammonia -- .25
    Nitrite -- .25
    Nitrate -- 40

My tank is only about 6 weeks old. The readings have come down alot since I started testing.

4. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I treated the fish for ick, I saw a few very small specks on the tail fin on one guppy, then 24 hours later did a 50% water change. The fish seem to be acting more normal now.

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Your ammonia and nitrite levels are toxic, and your nitrates are too high. :-\  In general, nitrates should be below 20 or 25, although with some more sensitive fish such as Otos it should be much lower.  The ich sounds like it has just started, so your first priority should be getting down the nitrates.  Hopefully your tank will finish cycling soon so your ammonia and nitrites go down too. The water change was a good idea, it probably helped lower your nitrates. The high levels of am., ni., and nitrate may very well be causing your fish to get sick due to stress.

6. mistycheriValued MemberMember

hmm, thanks for the advice, should I do another water change sooner than planned? I bought this Stress Zyme to help the fish and help cycle the tank. Do you think that will help?

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

When in doubt, do a water change! ::)
    But anyway yeah water changes are always good if something's wrong. And I hate to tell you this but most things that say they speed up the cycle don't work. Won't hurt anything though.

8. vinWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like your tank never completed the cycle. I would recommend you test your water every day and do 30% water changes daily until those numbers for ammonia and nitrites read -0- and the nitrates remain steady at <10........Once these readings are at the optimal levels you can go back to doing your weekly water changes. Changing the water will without a doubt provide relief for your fish.