Ick Problems

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think some of my fish might have ick. I have the medication for them, but I need to take the carbon out of my filter to use it. If I take the carbon out it will get rid of the beneficial bacteria in my tank. My tank is not fully cycled cause I’m new to aquariums and didn’t know. I’m worried that if I take he carbon out the beneficial bacteria will go away and the fish will die. What should I do with my filter

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Why do you need to take out carbon

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
It removes t
Iverg1 said:
Why do you need to take out carbon
If you don’t take out the carbon it will filter out the medication from your tank and it won’t help the fish

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is there a way you can take out the carbon without removing the filter media? If the carbon is inside a cartridge, you can cut a slit in the cartridge and dump out the carbon.

Another alternative is to use the heat method to treat ich, and not use meds.
ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Is there a way you can take out the carbon without removing the filter media? If the carbon is inside a cartridge, you can cut a slit in the cartridge and dump out the carbon.

Another alternative is to use the heat method to treat ich, and not use meds.
ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment
What is the filter media?

BaraYoukai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also had success recently treating Ich with salt since I don't have a filter...The heat method does work better from what I've read though. Just another option.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
BaraYoukai said:
I also had success recently treating Ich with salt since I don't have a filter...The heat method does work better from what I've read though. Just another option.
Do you know if I can do the heat method with medication

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tristen said:
Do only one...Do the heat meds are not benign. No salt if you have scaleless fish. Corys also do not like salt.

BaraYoukai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tristen said:
From what I have read online people don't seem to do both. I don't have any personal experience why though. I am assuming meds are so hard on fish they might die from extra stress.
I have only used meds once to treat Ich and it didn't go so well...I lost all my fish sadly. So I personally would try it as a last resort. However I have read that some people have great success with meds, so good luck!!!!!

BaraYoukai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Do only one...Do the heat meds are not benign. No salt if you have scaleless fish. Corys also do not like salt.
Duly noted...I have only ever had fish with scales so I've never come across this. Thanks for the info.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom