Ick Problems

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Tristen, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Tristen

Tristen New Member Member

I think some of my fish might have ick. I have the medication for them, but I need to take the carbon out of my filter to use it. If I take the carbon out it will get rid of the beneficial bacteria in my tank. My tank is not fully cycled cause I’m new to aquariums and didn’t know. I’m worried that if I take he carbon out the beneficial bacteria will go away and the fish will die. What should I do with my filter

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Why do you need to take out carbon

3. OP
    OP
    Tristen

It removes t
    If you don’t take out the carbon it will filter out the medication from your tank and it won’t help the fish

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is there a way you can take out the carbon without removing the filter media? If the carbon is inside a cartridge, you can cut a slit in the cartridge and dump out the carbon.

Another alternative is to use the heat method to treat ich, and not use meds.
    ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment

5. OP
    OP
    Tristen

What is the filter media?

6. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukai Valued Member Member

I also had success recently treating Ich with salt since I don't have a filter...The heat method does work better from what I've read though. Just another option.

7. OP
    OP
    Tristen

Do you know if I can do the heat method with medication

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Do only one...Do the heat meds are not benign. No salt if you have scaleless fish. Corys also do not like salt.

9. BaraYoukai

From what I have read online people don't seem to do both. I don't have any personal experience why though. I am assuming meds are so hard on fish they might die from extra stress.
    I have only used meds once to treat Ich and it didn't go so well...I lost all my fish sadly. So I personally would try it as a last resort. However I have read that some people have great success with meds, so good luck!!!!!

10. BaraYoukai

Duly noted...I have only ever had fish with scales so I've never come across this. Thanks for the info.

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Filter media is the sponge type stuff in your filter. Cartridges are often full of activated carbon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice