Ick Outbreak!

ChrisR
I just noticed some white spots on my fish a few rainbows and 2 blue acaras, it isn’t bad just yet by this is my first time getting it and I need help with how to fully treat it. I’ve starting raising the temp but don’t know what else to do. I need help asap please.

Discus-Tang
Some medications like ich-x will help.

ChrisR
I bought apI super ick cure, should I add it immediately and is it okay to put in the tank with everything? It is a 55 gallon, but do not have another tank to hold and separate the fish

Discus-Tang
Yes, I would add it straight to the tank, as long as there are no plants or invertebrates that you care about.

When the spots are gone, drop in a bag of activated carbon. Remove it 24 hours later. During the treatment, execute water changes as per usual.

ChrisR
No there is nothing else living in the tank but fish, what temperature is good to start with to make the process faster?

Discus-Tang
No there is nothing else living in the tank but fish, what temperature is good to start with to make the process faster?
The higher end, 80F or so

finnipper59
A temperature of 86 has been used alone to cure ich. But just leave your temperature where it is. The fluctuations in temperature is stressful to fish and your medication will do the trick.

Uber Archetype
Raise the temperature to 82-3 and add salt up to about a .05 salinity level. Chemicals are far more stressful than a little heat and salt.

finnipper59
API Super Ich Cure is one of the best treatments you can give a fish for complete ich cure. Fogget about all these people that want you to raise temperature and add aquarium salt an all these other so called natural cures. The medication you have is not stressful to fish but aquarium salt can be, especially when raising a fish's body temperature which will also raise it's metabolism. Leave the temperature where and use your API medication.

I get amazed about all the sodium thiosulphate that people don't even know their throwing in their tanks every time a water change is done to get rid of chlorine, but suddenly become antichemical when it comes to killing a dangerous paracite.

Uber Archetype
I think the salinity measurement recommended would be more like .005. But don't worry if you don't have a refractometer or other measuring tool. About a 1/4 cup of aquarium salt would be a good place to start for 55gal.

finnipper59
API Super Ich Cure is one of the best treatments you can give a fish for complete ich cure. Fogget about all these people that want you to raise temperature and add aquarium salt an all these other so called natural cures. The medication you have is not stressful to fish but aquarium salt can be, especially when raising a fish's body temperature which will also raise it's metabolism. Leave the temperature where and use your API medication.

I get amazed about all the sodium thiosulphate that people don't even know their throwing in their tanks every time a water change is done to get rid of chlorine, but suddenly become antichemical when it comes to killing a dangerous paracite.
Your API will give you good directions on where to start and where to finish.

Uber Archetype
I think the salinity measurement recommended would be more like .005. But don't worry if you don't have a refractometer or other measuring tool. About a 1/4 cup of aquarium salt would be a good place to start for 55gal.
Inexpensive natural remedies that are actually safe and work well are a far better choice than harmful chemicals. But it's your money and fish...

DylanM
Inexpensive natural remedies that are actually safe and work well are a far better choice than harmful chemicals. But it's your money and fish...
Adding marine salt to a freshwater aquarium is a much more harmful chemical than a bottle of ick cure.

Uber Archetype
Adding marine salt to a freshwater aquarium is a much more harmful chemical than a bottle of ick cure.
Based on what, your opinion? You have a citation for that?

DylanM
Based on what, your opinion? You have a citation for that?
It is so obvious you shouldn't be making a marine environment for freshwater fish that this conversation hurts. You can add sodium chloride to an aquarium to treat a few diseases, marine salt is a mixture of sodium chloride and a ton of other minerals that would create an environment harmful to any purely freshwater fish.

Coradee
Let’s not derail this thread any further by responding to each other rather than the Op, if you want to continue your side discussion on salts start a new thread.

Op, some info here on Ich treatments you may find useful ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment

Uber Archetype
It is so obvious you shouldn't be making a marine environment for freshwater ....
Nobody but you is saying that. What do you think happens after the ick is gone and some water-changing?

BTW, Coradee: No further discussion will be taking place. Guaranteed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Top Bottom