ICK meds treatment or heater/salt treatment

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jrobber, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Ok, so my tank has been contaminated with for about a week now and I have been using QuickCare ICK treatment meds for about 5 days. I've lost a couple fish, but one black mollie now has ICK who didn't have it before.

My question is, should I continue the treatment meds and turn the heater up and add salt to the tank? Or should I just continue with the meds and do not turn the heater up?

2. namehaterWell Known MemberMember

i dont know about combining both tactics, but IME with ich, the heater with salt worked better than the meds

3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Any other tips someone might have?

I've gone ahead and turned the heat up to about 81, but have added any more salt. I've also lowered the water level some to allow the filtered water to create more air bubbles which seems to have liven up the fish some. My Mollie still has spots, but he really isn't acting like the others Mollies that were infected and died.

Also, here is the meds I am currently treating my tank with:

It says on the bottle use for two days, but I have already treated for 5 and I still see signs of ICK. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. ray_sjValued MemberMember

If you're going to use the meds, then the temp you have is fine. The higher temp speeds up the ich life cycle, causing them to fall off into the water faster, where the meds will kill them. I don't know much about QuickCure, though.

If you want to treat with heat alone, you typically have to go to 86F or higher to kill the ich, at least from the articles I've read. You have to add aeration to keep the oxygen levels up, and keep an eye on your fish to make sure they can handle the high heat, though. And water changes every few days helps also.

I've cured ich successfully before using both methods.

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello J,

Sorry to hear you're dealing with ICH.

Here are two links on ICH:

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm

I recommend the heat treatment the most. Increasing the temperature to 86 interrupts the life cycle of the ICH. Leave the temperature raised for a full two weeks. ICH may appear worse before it gets better. Warmer waters require more oxygen so an air stone/supply line is also recommended. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Some members use salt in addition to increased temperatures and some don't. Personally I wouldn't use salt. (you'll get various opinions on adding salt) If you've already added the salt, don't freak out :)

I haven't used any ICH medications in the past 11 years so I can't recommend one to use. If all of the fish are severely covered in ICH then I would consider using medications. Be careful with medications as some of them can ruin your cycle. Since the medications you've been using don't appear to be working then I suggest the heat method. Others may come along with another suggestion on a different ICH medicine to use.

I'm sure you'll get more responses.

Best of luck for a full recovery and please keep us posted.
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've raised the temp to 82 and added another dose of meds, and it seems most of the spots on my black mollie have fallen off. I'm not going to add anymore meds tomorrow and so on. I plan on vacuuming the gravel tonight and hoping for a better tomorrow morning.

The meds say not to add the carbon filter back onto the tank for 24 hours, should I wait longer than that or not worry about that?

7. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Remember that the fact that you're seeing fewer spots does not mean that the ich parasite is gone. The spores fall off of the fish to the substrate, then become free swimming again, then reinfect the fish- it is only in the free swimming stage that the parasite is killed by the meds. I don't know what the directions are on the meds you're using, but IMO you should follow them to the letter and be sure not to end treatment too soon or you may end up back where you started.

8. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Yes, I am actually going to continue the meds treatment until I am sure the ICK is gone. The heat is turned up and my water parameters seem ok (aside from my pH level) and the remaining fish don't seem stressed.

I just assumed I could cure this overnight, but after plenty of ICK research, I understand thats not probable.

9. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice