Ick is Icky

Bahamut

So just two days ago my female swordtail gave birth and I put them in mesh breeder's net in the main tank. But yesterday.. to my horror.. I notice some small white spots on the male and female swordtail. I didn't know what to do because of the fry so I quickly took out the male and female swordtail and put them in another tank. I've been treating them with Quick Cure. They're really active and eating well but you can't deny there's white spots on them. Now I'm just worried that the Ick might still be in my main tank.. I have a pretty old Dalmatian Molly who seems to be lying around a lot but he eats everything and there hasn't been any rubbing against objects. Not sure if he has Ick.. I want to treat my Main tank but I don't know what to do since the fry are in there :-[ I've been reading that salt can be used to treat ick.. but can the fry tolerate salt? and if so, how much can be used on a 20 gallon tank to treat ick?

daisyDoom

Ich definitely does suck. Do you have a heater in your tank? If so, raise the temp to 85 or so. I know that seems really hot but that's the point. What this does is ramps up the ichs reproduction, which sounds like a bad thing, but it's not. The only time ich is vulnerable is when it is not attached to the fish. Those white spots are actually the parasite in the fish's skin and you can't do much to them there. So gradually raise your temp to 85 over a few hours and do water changes and gravel vacuuming every day to get the ich that is now floating in your water and sinking to the gravel bed. You will notice the ich reducing and eventually going away completely. You can also add aquarium salt to the tank which also helps eliminate the parasites but check with your fish types, plants, etc to see if they can stand the addition of salt. I've never had luck using medications to get rid of ich. They just seem to stress the fish out. I've gotten rid of ich issues with this method before so I know it works. Good luck!

daisyDoom

Oops, sorry, I didn't see the fry question at the end. Silly me. I'll look into it for you and see what I can find.

daisyDoom

Ok I just did some digging and it seems the fry are tough little buggers and will be fine with the salt as long as you don't add too much. Recommended dosing is 1tsp per gallon. Hope this helps

Bahamut

Thank you so much for the help Unfortunately the heater I have works on a set temperature and doesn't go higher than 76. Trying to find a better one online right now ;D But there's many options ??? do you have any recommendations?

daisyDoom

I use an aqueon heater that let's me adjust the temp up to 88° f. Works great. Automatic shut off when the temp is reached, I love it. You can find them at any lfs for reasonable prices. I wouldn't wait to order one online. By the time it gets shipped to you you may loose fish I recommend getting it in there asap so things don't get too out of hand. Better to tackle the issue sooner rather than later. Let me know how it works out for you

Bahamut

I know :-\ really didn't wanna have to order online either but all the heaters with adjustable temperatures run at around 30+ dollars at the petstores and I've already spent all my christmas money on upgrading my tank for these little rascals and what do they do to show me their appreciation? They get ick :-\ I selected rush one day shipping and amazon says the heater is guaranteed at my house by tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help I'll letcha know how it goes

daisyDoom

Oh great! I'm glad you could get your hands on one. Good luck! Ich isn't that big of a deal if you know how to handle it.

Bahamut

So my Molly definitely has ick :'( one day shipping is starting to feel like an eternity. I was looking up the fish types like you said and I'm a little worried about my SterbaI cories. I've been researching and I'm getting some mixed results about them being treated with salt. So I'm just going to treat my main tank with heat and water changes like you suggested How much of the water should be changed?

daisyDoom

I would do 20 to 30 % every day focusing on gravel vacuuming. That's where the ich is going to drop to. I would also recommend you take out any plastic ornamentation you have in there. Obviously you can't remove live plants, but fake ones you can take out. The ich will attach to various items in the tank so the less it has to attach to, the more you can remove with the gravel vacuuming. Keep your chin up, everything will be alright. As far as the cory cats go, they should be fine as long as you don't over dose with salt. Keep to the ratio and everything should be fine. Breath bahamut! (AWESOME name by the way)

Bahamut

Thanks for all your great advise Unfortunately my Molly just died don't know how the ick affected him so quickly but I'm guessing it was because he was pretty old too.

daisyDoom

Oh no!! Sad time I'm really sorry to hear that... I really hope the rest of your fish make it through. Just raise the heat, and add the salt gradually and the rest of your fish should make it. Exactly how old was the dalmation molly again??

Bahamut

He was around 2 years old had already turned completely black. He was my first fish and I had called him Spot not knowing about how Dalmation's turn black as they age lol. My other fish in the main seem to be doing well. No signs of spots, good appetite, active, no flashing. The two that I had initially isolated still have spots on them and the female was flashing a bit but other than that they're really active and eating well. Hopefully that's a good sign :/

Siould

Kordon Ich Attack and Kordon Rid-Ich Plus are the best.

daisyDoom

What's the scoop today?

Bahamut

So I installed the heater and Ive been gradually increasing the temperature. Thankfully the fishies haven't been showing any symptoms. My Swordtails seem to had less spots today And the fry just get hungrier each day lol

daisyDoom

Awesome! Glad to hear it. condolences about spot I'm happy things seems to be going well

Bahamut

Thanks for everything How would I know when all the ick is gone? I've been reading and some websites say to keep the temperature up for two weeks.. some say for just one week.. some say 3 days.. What do you recommend?

daisyDoom

I would do 3 days. High Temps for too long may be stressful on the fish. Keep your eye out for any reoccurring infection, and if it happens crank the temp again.

daisyDoom

Hey bahamut, wanted to check In and see how the fish friends are doing

Bahamut

Thank you for asking! They're doing swimmingly ;D There's been no more ick on any of my other fish and the swordtails ick has cleared up entirely. Unfortunately, one of the three fry that I had in the net breeder in the main tank died I'm not sure if it was the ick or if it was a defect in the net breeder. Because the net breeder has these bars that can be attached to the sides to stick plastic plants to it. However, the bars leave a very tight space between the net and the bar and that's where I found him I was thinking if it wasn't the ick it might have been that he got stuck in there. I took the plastic plants and the bar out just in case (they didn't even like the plastic plants since I had a nice long anacharis in there for them.) And the next day one of my fry seemed to have a small white spot on his tail (and my hyperventilation began) but I just waited for a few days with the temp up and the spot disappeared ;D

After they ick fell off the swordtails that I had isolated, the male had gotten these white spots on his pectoral fins but they didn't look like ick but I wasn't sure (still not sure) what it was. They were active and eating well and other than those mysterious white spots on the male, they seemed healthy so I decided to put them back into the main 20 gallon (But not before my female gave birth to more fry! I managed to save 12 of them but two died, or perhaps they were stillborns). I had them in a Kritter Keeper until they lost their yolk sacs and today I mixed them in with the other fry in the net breeder. Thank you so much for your help and your concern with my fishy friends.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
Replies
Views