Ick? I'm not sure what it is..

Sparkling Diamonds

I've gotten two bettas, I've had them since last Friday.

One has for sure finrot, and I've been giving him Maracyn-2. So far, I believe I'm seeing new growth which is awesome! But now that I've done some comparing of pictures and looking closer at both fish, they've got, what looks to be a white-ish film growing from behind their eyes, to the upper head and down the back a bit. It's quite a bit, so it can't be ick, it's not like salt specks around the body and it's not on their fins at all. And it looks like brush strokes of white, so it could possibly even be their coloring. (Both fish are brothers, and are practically twins as far as coloring goes, so if they both had it as coloring, I wouldn't be surprised)

I'm talking with the guy that I bought the fish from, and he suggests almond leaves? He said they're very good for Bettas. Has anyone else heard of this? It's the first that I've heard of it, for sure. I'll try to get them to stay still to get some pictures of the whiteness that I'm seeing. But until then, some feedback would be lovely.

COBettaCouple

~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
I've gotten two bettas, I've had them since last Friday.

One has for sure finrot, and I've been giving him Maracyn-2. So far, I believe I'm seeing new growth which is awesome! But now that I've done some comparing of pictures and looking closer at both fish, they've got, what looks to be a white-ish film growing from behind their eyes, to the upper head and down the back a bit. It's quite a bit, so it can't be ick, it's not like salt specks around the body and it's not on their fins at all. And it looks like brush strokes of white, so it could possibly even be their coloring. (Both fish are brothers, and are practically twins as far as coloring goes, so if they both had it as coloring, I wouldn't be surprised)

I'm talking with the guy that I bought the fish from, and he suggests almond leaves? He said they're very good for Bettas. Has anyone else heard of this? It's the first that I've heard of it, for sure. I'll try to get them to stay still to get some pictures of the whiteness that I'm seeing. But until then, some feedback would be lovely.
I know you can use Almond leaves in breeding Bettas and they affect the water chemistry some, but that's the only use I've heard of for them. I'm curious to know if anyone has used them in non-breeding situations myself.

Butterfly

Does this sound like what's wrong with your fish?

Carol

Sparkling Diamonds

Well, it could be..

I've not see him flash at all. They swim around like normal. There's no annorexia, sinnce his appetite is really, quite apparent. I'm not quite sure what the site was talking about with regards to a "properly stocked and placed aquaria" simply because ot goes off and hints at the water chemistry? Well, I tested it yesterday and everything was at 0. And the pH was like... 7.2, I think it was.

And I have absolutely no understand from the treatment section, me and my small vocabulary.. heh. I've got Apollo on Jungle Labs Fungus Clear, to help with the fin rot, and it may also help with the whiteness, since I was thinking it might just be fungus growing on him. Another suggestion was Velvet, but I darkened my room, and shone a light on both fish, and I saw the same thing, no specs of gold, or copper (Even through they're gold bettas) and the white that I saw on them was dull, not metallic. And it looked chunky. Lemme think of an example.. Like those big food tablet things that people get to feed their animals while they're away for an amount of time, that thick kind of dull looking substance seems to be clinging on them... like it would just flake off if someone were to scratch it. I dunno if that makes any sense.. I don't think that's velvet though. Their color isn't fading either, they're still quite vibrant.. just have this white stuff on them.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom