ick, help needed fast!

ab

Reaction score
My tank is 36 gal, it's been set up since Aug. Many of the fish were in my 20 gal tank prior to upgrading to the 36 gal. My water tested good. My ph runs slightly high because the city water runs high, I have drift wood in the take to help maintain the pH. the current stock is:
Black Skirted tetra (6)
Sepia tetra (3)
marble hatchet (2)
Cory cat (2)
I had just added Neons, They all died, and the rest of my fish now have what appears to be ick. But not sure. they have white spots on their fins but to my eye it's not 3-d salt like grains. I would prefer a non medicine treatment if possible (I heard something about salt). I will use a medicine if necessary to save my fish.
Is the store that sold me the ick at all responsible? In the future I will have to learn how to keep a second tank to quarantine new fish.
Please help I understand this may be fatal to my fish. (and I do love my fishes!)
Thanks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could have well bought sick Neons, and they might have infected all of your other fish. OR: a lack of proper acclimatization could have caused the fish to get Ick as well. Then, the rest of the fish could have gotten Ick from the sick Neons. Neons are very sensitive and delicate fish - one of my Neons has just died too. If you didn't acclimatize your Neons, this is why they might have gotten sick. Oftentimes, the water conditions at a fish store are very much different from those of your tank (ex. pH and nitrate). And when a fish is suddenly transported from one tank to another, without proper acclimatization, it can get sick and die.

You can check for Ick (Ich) medications in the two disease charts that I have given you on the top of this board. You can also use (in addition to the medication) AQUARIUM SALT (not the regular salt you use in your kitchen). Freshwater aquarium salt is sold in all fish stores. You should gradually increase the temperature in your tank to about 82F and add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water to your tank. However, don't just dump the salt in there. Take a bucket of your tank water, dissolve the salt well in there first, and then SLOWLY pour this solution into your tank.

I hope this will help you. Good luck.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First of all, let me caution you that all fish should be kept in a quarantine tank for 2 weeks before adding to a set-up tank or you do risk something like this happening. The store should probably be notified of the neons having ich but I am not sure that they will do anything about it unless the dead fish are still under the live gaurantee. (but without the fish's bodies, I am doubting they will do anything even then)

I will admit that I am just as guilty as the next person of sometimes hurrying things along but I also have had my share of disasters over doing it.

The temperature at which the ich parasite leaves the body of the fish is 85 degrees Fahrenheit/30 degrees Celsius. The temperature needs to be raised slowly and kept there for 14 days straight. If you need to do a water change you need to make sure that the water is not going to cool the tank down. It would be a good idea to check the water temperature before adding to the tank. If you keep the temperature at above temperature for the 14 days, the parasite will die without the use of medication. Just be sure to run an airstone to increase the level of oxygen in the water as the higher the temperature, the less oxygen the water can hold without being assisted.

Rose

ab

Reaction score
Thank you both for responding. I called the store this morning, I brought in a few of the dead tetras, They were still under warranty. It turns out that the store I purchased them at had ick in their tank and had no problem acknowledging that they gave me sick fish that infected my tank. They refunded my money and gave me (at no cost) Mardel Maracide to treat my tank. I also notice they had no neons left at all. I started the treatment, but I am a bit nervous about it. I read so many conflicting opinions. I did start to raise the temp of my tank to speed up the ick's life cycle. I have added oxygen sources. I don't know about adding salt some say my fish are not tolerent to salt. I am also concerned about the Maracide, some say Cory Cats and Tetras can't survive Maracide, others say cut the dose in half, and other sites say it is safe to use it. Please, what do you know about this medicine. I am also confused about the duration of treatment. The instructions mention three treatments every other day, but when I called the company they said I should repeat the three treatment three times, doing a water change after each third treatment. I am confused, overwhelmed, and don't want to cause any more harm to my fish. Thanks I appreciate your help and so do my little fishes.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had great success treating ich just by raising the temps up to 82F for 14 days and doing daily 50% water changes. I haven't had ich often but this is how I treat it, as I too have fish sensitive to salt. The daily water changes are necessary because the oxygen levels are lower in warm water and this will help get rid of the ich that falls off of your fish.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom