Ick And Snails.

Summer LS

Reaction score
Hello. I need help! I got a Betts and 2 days later it looked loke his skin was peeling so i got Life guard all in one treatment for ick and fungus. The next day I noticed my snails looked dead. I read the fine print and its not supposed to be used on snails. I transferred all 8 snails to a bowl of fresh water and all but 1 are alive now. The betta died. A week later I see my neon has ick. I took out the snails and put in anotherbtank until the treatment is finished. My question is how do I re introduce the snails to the tank? Completely clean the tank that contained the ick maybe? I heard the snails cant get ick but can be contaminated with ick and reintroduce the ick to the tank again once o out them back in. Somebody help please!

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recommend using cupramine for ich. What I do is I put the treatment in the tank until the fish show no signs of ich left. Then I put carbon in the filter (IDK if this works for Life Gaurd) to get rid of the copper in the tank. Do a water change then add the invertabrates back in

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They might I would leave them somewhere else for 1 month so that any ich survivors all die out because they don't have any fish to attach to

Summer LS

Reaction score
Your right. That's what I read. My fish already acts like he feels better t hours after the 1st dose. Hes not floating to the side anymore and I see another fish has a few spots. The 3rd fish looks fine. Glad I caught it early! Thanks for your help! Sonyou know how long I should wait from but another betta? I sure wont get any from Wal-Mart again! That fish messed up the whole tank. Ive had it for years and I have never had a single problem except algea and 2 algae eaters and snails cleared that up in 1 night!

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So glad to hear that your fish are better, my 3 goldfish had recently gotten ich too and sadly one died in the process, but they are all better now.

Summer LS

Reaction score
Yea ick comes out of nowhere and attacks quick! As soon as I say hes looking better he started turning to the side again. Wish I could do something else, poor thing!

Summer LS

Reaction score
I have my snails in a huge tupperware bowl with no filter and its starting to stink. Should i change the water?. I cant wait till the treatment is over. My fish still has the same amount of spots and isnt eating too good. I dont know what i should do today was the 3rd treatment. Poor thing is getting his color back but so skinny and floating on his side still. Is the treatment not working?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the treatment continues to not work accordingly I would try cupramine then I can be more of a help. As of changing the water I don't think you should unless it specifically says to do so. If you change the water then you will get the items contaminated and get rid of the medication

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Omg wait did you have carbon in the filter when you did the medicine?! Carbon gets rid of medications in the water maybe that's why you aren't noticing any changes

Summer LS

Reaction score
No i took the filter out. Its still on but bo carbon filter in it. Today is day 4 of treatment and the fish still looks and acts the same. Tomorrows supposed to be the last day of treatment. Is it not working? Should i try something else?

Summer LS

Reaction score
Oh i see about the cupramine now. Ill go to pet smart soon. I really think what im using is not working.

Summer LS

Reaction score
Another update! I just found my fish dead. The other 2 have no signs of being sick at all. Should i finish tomorrows last treatment and clean the tank the next day or shouldni try a different treatment just incase? Also we have a new betta waiting to be put in the tank and have to put the snails back. The betta and 2 other fish like eachother through the glass lol. It looks like theyre playing with eachother. I feel sorry for the betta in this tiny bowl!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom