Ick and Columnaris at the same time (emergency)

Pachonfx

Good day guys,

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 90g
How long has the tank been running? 1 month (i bought it used but cycle in 5 days)
Does it have a filter? seachem 110 and fx4
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78 to 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 5 angels, 3 rainbows, 20 tetras(assorted), 4 catfish, 3 plecos, 1 danio

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 15%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime but since dealing with ick, api stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? water at the beginning now substrate everyday

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? a tablespoon
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week give or take
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? see below
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes but it was misdiagnosed,
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?n/a
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? behavior still the same and the community beside the couple already die and 1 angel that is in ER

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I have a 90g tank with around 20 tetras, 5 angels, 3rainbows, few corys and 2 plecos. Everything started when i noticed 1 tetra had something in his mouth ( i thought it was a tumor), left during the weekend and the tetra die and got eaten (i guess, never find him). A week ago couple my angels had a white spot near his top fin and the other on the side. I asked a LFS and they recommended treat with Ich x and erythromicin (for general fungus and ich). During the treatment 1 rainbow die out of the blue and 1 pleco as well. I completed the treatment (5 days) and let them rest for 2 days. After those 2 days, I noticed that some fish had ick and also one of the angels had more white spots (not ick) and started gasping and floating like having bladder disease, that is when I figured that im not dealing with fungus but Columnaris. I resume the ick treatment (ick x)with 30% water changes but i have not noticed any improved, actually more fishes are getting it. Yesterday the angel that was gasping is literally on the botton of the tank so i moved him to a quarantine tank with methylene blue, salt and furan2 to see if i can save him.
My question is, on the main tank, should i go nuclear on the columnaris and use furan2 plus kanaplex or continue with the ick x in the meantime? Can i combine all the meds? I dont even know what is worse to be honest. I think at this point is either going nuclear and save some or all will die eventually
Ps: I dont have pictures but im pretty sure im dealing with ick and columnaris

Regards,

Freshfishguy

Good day guys,

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 90g
How long has the tank been running? 1 month (i bought it used but cycle in 5 days)
Does it have a filter? seachem 110 and fx4
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78 to 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 5 angels, 3 rainbows, 20 tetras(assorted), 4 catfish, 3 plecos, 1 danio

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 15%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime but since dealing with ick, api stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? water at the beginning now substrate everyday

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? a tablespoon
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week give or take
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? see below
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes but it was misdiagnosed,
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?n/a
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? behavior still the same and the community beside the couple already die and 1 angel that is in ER

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I have a 90g tank with around 20 tetras, 5 angels, 3rainbows, few corys and 2 plecos. Everything started when i noticed 1 tetra had something in his mouth ( i thought it was a tumor), left during the weekend and the tetra die and got eaten (i guess, never find him). A week ago couple my angels had a white spot near his top fin and the other on the side. I asked a LFS and they recommended treat with Ich x and erythromicin (for general fungus and ich). During the treatment 1 rainbow die out of the blue and 1 pleco as well. I completed the treatment (5 days) and let them rest for 2 days. After those 2 days, I noticed that some fish had ick and also one of the angels had more white spots (not ick) and started gasping and floating like having bladder disease, that is when I figured that im not dealing with fungus but Columnaris. I resume the ick treatment (ick x)with 30% water changes but i have not noticed any improved, actually more fishes are getting it. Yesterday the angel that was gasping is literally on the botton of the tank so i moved him to a quarantine tank with methylene blue, salt and furan2 to see if i can save him.
My question is, on the main tank, should i go nuclear on the columnaris and use furan2 plus kanaplex or continue with the ick x in the meantime? Can i combine all the meds? I dont even know what is worse to be honest. I think at this point is either going nuclear and save some or all will die eventually
Ps: I dont have pictures but im pretty sure im dealing with ick and columnaris

Regards,
I would deal with columnaris first. First thing to do is to turn down the temp as low as the fish can safely tolerate which will slow both diseases down. Treat with furan 2 and Kanaplex. You can do 2 full rounds of Kanaplex if you need, but you should do at least one full round.
This link has a good schedule for how to dose and do water changes while treating with both medications: Identify and Treat Columnaris (Saddle Back Disease) - FishLab.
Also if you haven’t already this sticky has really good treatment information too: Columnaris Symptoms And Treatment | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 263058.

Upvote 0

Pachonfx

Do you think is viable Furan 2 + Kanaplex + Paraguard (to at least have something against Ick) Freshfishguy
Thanks for the info

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Do you think is viable Furan 2 + Kanaplex + Paraguard (to at least have something against Ick) Freshfishguy
Thanks for the info
I have no idea honestly. But lowering the temperature to 75 or a little lower will slow down the ick significantly to where it shouldn't be an issue while you treat the columnaris.

Upvote 0

Aaronious

I have treated both, I no longer "treat" ich with chemicals or store bought things. Mostly I just raise the temp has high as I am comfortable to 86 or again as close to as I can. Some tanks only to 80. Anyway, From what I have seen Ich can be constantly present in a tank. As it now is in mine. It never shows until a fish is unhappy or unhealthy. These two often go hand in hand. There have been a couple fish that had it come and go but mostly they don't have it and if they do it's for a short time.

These are my experiences after researching and determining what seemed best for me. I don't know anything about those products that you mentioned.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
75 Gallon Tank Angelfish with some issue
Replies
Views
scubasteve80