Ich's Tolerance to Marine Salt

ChrissFishes01

Hello!

As I'm preparing for my figure 8 puffer to arrive, I'm wondering about what the salt tolerance of freshwater ich is. Obviously, a little bit of aquarium salt thrown into the tank won't do the job - however, after looking at a few research studies done by fisheries and labs, it seems ich can tolerate up to 1.004 (or so) in some cases. Considering I was planning on keeping that puffer at 1.004 long-term, if I acclimated him up to 1.006 for a month or so, and then slowly dropped the tank back down to 1.004, do you think that'd eradicate ich or maybe some other parasites?

Anyone got any experience here? I've used marine salt treatments on guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails, and a few species of native fish, but they're all known to be super salt-tolerant (guppies up to full marine levels, mollies to hyper-saline environments, and platies to swordtails up to 1.008 or so), and I'm not sure how healthy it'd be for the F8 to be acclimated into saltier conditions than what's recommended (where the highest I've seen them kept at is 1.008) and then dropped back down.

Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
Jo3y
Replies
Views
Truckjohn
Replies