Ich

Shastam

Reaction score
So, Samson has those telltale white dots all over his body and fins this morning. I was just watching him while I type and waste time online, and noticed them. I know how to easily treat that, but he has two otto friends right now, and I'm wondering if anyone else that keeps ottos and bettas has ever encountred this. I don't want to hurt any of them, but I want to make sure this gets cleared up as quickly as possible.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've not had ottos, but there's a site you could post your question that might help you get the answers you need from some aquarium experts:

And if you need them (sounds like you don't tho ), here's a few good ich treatment pages:

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
If you don't have a heater in your tank you should get one. The best way to get rid of ich is by raising the temp (I think about 86F) for two weeks. Keeping the temp between 80-82F from now on should prevent the fish from ever getting ich again. You could also try some meds like "Parasite Clear". Bettas should be kept in warm water to prevent disease and parasites. Sorry if you already know this but I just wanted to make sure.
The Parasite Clear should be fine for Otos too so you should treat all fish in the tank. The meds are harmful only to crustaceans such as shrimp and crabs.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Ahhh. Poor little Samson. My BambI had ick and I raised her water temp. to 85/86 as you were advised by Phloxface. I also used Quick Cure for the ick along with Furon 2. She quickly healed, but unfortunately, the 4 ottos that were in the tank with her didn't survive. I don't know what it was that killed them, but I would be very careful as ottos are sensitive. I would just try raising the water temp. and forget about meds unless it won't clear up.

CherryRose

OP
S

Shastam

Reaction score
FLBettaCouple, thank you for that link, I asked a question and discribed everything, and she agreed with what was suggested, it was probably a drop in the temperature. I did buy a small heater for Samson's tank after I picked him up, but I really think it sucks. Its a 7.5 watt and I have to unplug it if the room gets over 75, which it does all day. It seems to only raise the temp by about 2 or 3 degrees. So I'm wondering what everyone else uses in small tanks. I know he needs a more reliable source. His water stays about 74-76 which just isn't warm enough.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shastam said:
FLBettaCouple, thank you for that link, I asked a question and discribed everything, and she agreed with what was suggested, it was probably a drop in the temperature. I did buy a small heater for Samson's tank after I picked him up, but I really think it sucks. Its a 7.5 watt and I have to unplug it if the room gets over 75, which it does all day. It seems to only raise the temp by about 2 or 3 degrees. So I'm wondering what everyone else uses in small tanks. I know he needs a more reliable source. His water stays about 74-76 which just isn't warm enough.
You're welcome. Thanks for prompting me to find it, i've kept that bookmark myself for future reference.

I know the heater you're talking about and agree that it sucks. That is cool for a Betta. What size is your tank? One of the heaters at Fosters & Smith
outta do the trick and probably be cheaper than your LFS.
This heater: is very nice, submersible and you can set the temp on it plus they have models for all size tanks. They have a great price & I wish i'd known about this site before buying the heaters we have. I know people who use this heater and they love it.

OP
S

Shastam

Reaction score
Well this would be going on a 2.5 gal tank. So I'm not sure how safe a large heater would be. I bought the one minI one, and now I hate it. Are there ones that are safe for a 2.5 to 5 and will actually hold temps with a thermostat? We're waiting to cycle the 5 gal, but now I want to be sure everyone is healthy before the move into the new tank. Either way, large heaters may not be good since they may continue to heat even after the desired temp is reached and they turn off.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shastam said:
Well this would be going on a 2.5 gal tank. So I'm not sure how safe a large heater would be. I bought the one minI one, and now I hate it. Are there ones that are safe for a 2.5 to 5 and will actually hold temps with a thermostat? We're waiting to cycle the 5 gal, but now I want to be sure everyone is healthy before the move into the new tank. Either way, large heaters may not be good since they may continue to heat even after the desired temp is reached and they turn off.
The 25w would probably be the best for that tank, you're definitely within it's max of 8g.. would you have the 8 1/4" of water (either in height or width) that it would need? If so, I'd think it would work very well. The reviews on it seem to be very positive and I personally know people who use them in tanks as small as 3 gallon and love them. Also, you could post a new thread & put the link to the heater in it, get everyone's opinion on if it would be a good one for your 2.5g.

New Threads