Status
Not open for further replies.

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ich on Molly?

Noticed some white spots on one of my black mollies. On her sides tail and under her chin. So far she is the only one that has spots but the other ones are starting to rub themselves on rocks. Even saw a fry do it. Hard to tell since most of the other fish are white and dalmations.

I have two pregnant females and one is due at any time. I have 30 fry in the breeder mesh net also.

I have a preset heater whose temp can't be changed. Its always at 78. Is a water siphon the same as a gravel vaccuum?

And if it is ich, I just added a plant decoration into my other fry tank!

What should I use? Salt? Medicine? I read that ich medicine can harm the fish and even kill them. I don't want anything hurting my 5 day old fry! I'm not sure if my pleco would like salt.

Main tank is 10 gal: 4 mollies, pleco and 30 babies in the net
Baby tank is 2 gal: few fry currently from main tank

I had a hard time getting the spots to show up on camera so I circled them as to not be confused by the bubbles.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, get an adjustable heater, raise the temp to 86 for 2 weeks without a break. Vacuum the gravel twice a week and replace water of the same temp.

The ICH may get worse before it gets better and please leave it the full 2 weeks, even if it goes away after 1 week.

Run an airstone in the tank as warmer water does not hold oxygen as well as it does at normal tropical temps. This method avoids meds that can be harmful to fish/fry. The period of heat is the lesser of 2 evils in this case. Good luck!

OP
ladygodiva35

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I went to all the pet stores and could not find an adjustable heater! Its like they don't make them anymore!

So I woke up this morning and almost everyone was dead! Only one molly, the pleco and 16 babies are alive...it killed 15 of them in total!

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you try walmart? Or Petco? They have adjustable heaters. Or maybe online... you could get a quick ship method. I have my temp at 85 and am using Rid-Ich. It's day two of treatment, so they all still have it but no deaths today. I have lost 7 fish to ICH so far. I hope it gets better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom