Ich?

1. V

VATechFish Initiate Member

Help! Two of my fish have developed some white spots on their bodies. I believe this is ich but two of my other fish seem to also be affected. Instead of small white spots though they have larger spots or streaks that are almost fuzzy. I included a picture of one of these fish. Could this also be ich or something else? Also what is the best way to treat for ich. This seems to have popped up overnight because no one had spots yesterday. 1527626991859.jpg

2. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

It could be ich, but usually when ich breaks out you'll have lots of white spots. It looks like someone sprinkled table salt on your fish.

This could be one of several things. Could be fungus, could be anchor worms.

I'd wait a day or so to see what happens. If there are bunch of little white spots, it's probably ich. I'd treat with commercial medication, making sure to follow the treatment schedule exactly (when white spots fall off it's not yet gone). The thing that doesn't indicate ich is large white spots.

It will probably be more apparent in a day or two. I wouldn't medicate or do any treatment until you have a good idea of what's going on.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

If it is ich, which is a bacterial infection, Ive alwas liked API fin and body treatment. It works on other bacterial infections too. But if its anchor worms or some other type of parasites, you need an antiparacitic like API General Cure or PraziPro.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Could you provide other pictures of other fish? I see the white spot on the head but I'm sure others would like to see if you have other pictures of the other fish and see what they look like.

5. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

No, ich is not a bacterial infection. It's a parasite. Medicine for bacterial infections will not do anything to cure ich.

Focus on diagnosing the problem.

6. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You are absolutely correct and I apologize to both you and the original poster. I know that it's a protozoa parasite. I have been responding to so many Columnaris posts that I just wasn't thinking correctly at the moment. API Super Ich Cure works well for ich and there are other products available for this paracite as well.

7. OP
    OP
    V

Hello. Thank you for all the great information. Unfortunately the one fish in the picture dies during the day today. She started acting very twitchy like she would shake her head and she would swim in sporadic spurts. Not much else is visible on the other fish except for two of my fish. It seems whatever this is is mainly growing on fins. Here are some more pics. On the colorful fish it is on his side front fin and is a small white blob. On the white fish it's about 3/4 down the fin along the spine. No one else seems twitchy or sporadic yet. Is there anything else I can do now? 20180530_175750.jpg 20180530_175643.jpg

8. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

That's looking like ich. You can treat it with medicine, or with heat. I don't know how your fish would tolerate heat, usually at least 86 degrees for two weeks. If you use medicine, make sure to follow the instructions exactly, such as taking out charcoal from the filter, and also the duration of treatment. Many folks make the mistake of ending treatment when the spots disappear, but that's just one of the phases of the life cycle.

9. Franco

Franco Member Member

Looks like ich to me. You caught it pretty early, so heat and salt may do the trick... assuming your fish can withstand these conditions.

10. OP
    OP
    V

I'm honestly not sure it's ich though because of how quickly the one fish died and because I'm seeing more of a few larger spots instead of many small spots. Also another one of my fish is showing signs of distress like not eating and kind of just floating in a corner and he does not show any spots. Should I still treat for ich or should I try a couple treatments at once to cover more possibilities. 20180530_184511.jpg

11. Franco

Franco Member Member

Yeah after seeing your other photos, the spots are rather large to be ich. It might be wise to use a commercial treatment or two. Someone else on Fishlore might be able to further steer you in the right direction for what specifically you should be treating. If you know what kind of illness it is (parasite, bacterial infection, etc), it will help you decide what medication to use. The issue with treating with multiple medications at once is that anytime you introduce a medication into the tank it will stress the fish out to an extent because of the change in water parameters. Stressed fish have a harder time recovering from illness. However, if we aren't able to identify what kind of illness your fish has, you might have to go with a multi-treatment approach.

12. OP
    OP
    V

Thank you for your help everyone. Can anyone recommend commercial treatments that have worked for them in the past? I have not encountered disease before so I do not know what to use.