Ich? Help

1. Deedo12

Deedo12 Initiate Member

So I got this German gold ram last week.. originally I kept him on hold at my LFS for a few days because I noticed a few other fish in his tank had a minor case of ich.. he was moved into a different tank that day. He was fine when I picked him up and showed zero signs of ich.. I’ve been keeping an eye on it and did notice two spots.. but he has a lot of iridescent specks on him as part of his natural coloring brightening up so I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not. My other German gold ram I got from the same tank a week prior is fine and so is the rest of my tank- 1 balloon molly, 1 mystery snail, 2 corys.. water parameters have been flawless and water a49107c58fb4b164ccaf44beb9ddd2ee.jpg is currently 78-82 degrees - what do you guys think?

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

That could be a bit of ich. I would see if he can shake it off though. Keep the water clean and he may be able to shake it off without medication.

3. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

Deedo12 Initiate Member

Good thing I did a 30% water change today lol keeping my fingers crossed!

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

OMG! I hope it’s going to be fine. Watch closely. I’d have catfish friendly ich cure available just in case it got that bad. But clean water and your warm temp will hopefully do the trick.

Now the OMG! Part is: my hubby wanted to know why you weren’t worried about the fish upside down! Luckily our neighbor was here. It’s the reflection! Oh my it hurts to laugh!

5. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

Deedo12 Initiate Member

I hope so! And wow that’s priceless! Haha only a reflection no worries! :)

6. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

In my experience with Rams, that isn't Ich, it's a fluke. Should just go away.

7. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

Deedo12 Initiate Member

Hm okay. Not familiar with fluke

8. AquaticJ

It's an external parasite, just keep an eye on it. If possible, though probably not, you can actually scrape it off of the fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

Deedo12 Initiate Member

Anything I can do to help it go away otherwise? Higher temp or anything like that? I’d say maybe aquarium salt? but I have corys and a mystery snail so I don’t want to harm them in the process

10. AquaticJ

Here's my Ram when he had one, it eventually went away. Heat won't do anything, but salt might help. I'd try salt, don't dose too heavily. If it's still there and getting worse, I'd try using API General Cure but only use half the dose.

Attached Files:

11. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

Deedo12 Initiate Member

Definitely looks similar. Ill keep an eye on him and if it gets worse at all I’ll try a small amount of salt. Thanks!

12. OP
    OP
    Deedo12

Deedo12 Initiate Member

Update..

So I’ve seen a few more white spots appear on my gold German rams.. I’d say each has about 4 spots on them.. fins only which I find strange. Acting mostly fine, haven’t seen them rubbing up on anything. I’ve gradually raised the temp so it’s now between 82-86. I’ve dissolved minimal salt and put a half dose of stress coat in. I really don’t want to lose these guys and I’m trying to avoid medication :( I have a snail and Corys so I don’t want to harm them. Help guys! I don’t know what to do from here.. keep doing what I’m doing and hope for the best or just get some ich medication, but if so which is safe for snails/Corys?? ANY advice would be very much appreciated right now. Trying not to lose my optimism :( c9f55c7afb71980b2d82c7e0f9cf6aca.jpg