Ich

Raimy101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Salt may be suggested but it doesn't usually work.
Heat would be the best and is the recommended treatment. But, you may need to add an air stone as higher water temps carry less saturated oxygen.
Paraguard is also a good option and some have had luck with Kordon ich treatment.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kayla20johnson said:
Hey guys, I’m new to all this. My Betta has ich and there is a Pleco in the tank with him. What’s the best thing to do?
So my Betta has been responding well, and so has my BN Pleco. Venus (my Betta) did not look too well last night before bed, and this morning I thought he was a goner until her gave me a quick little twitch. All he was doing was floating by the sword plant at the top of his tank. I went to work (5-1) and got home at 2, checked on him, and he was swimming all around and greeted me when I went to his tank.

Is all of this normal?

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DCL415 said:
What treatment did you use?
I did salt water, knowing my Pleco would be at risk, but he is doing fine! And I am medicating with Kordon rapid-cure

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since you're doing meds, stop the salt (stop the salt anyway, since you have a pleco) and don't do heat. Don't do heat and meds together, and I wouldn't do salt with either of them.

It sounds like you have stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them. Water quality may be an issue as well, and that can increase your chances of disease like ich.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Since you're doing meds, stop the salt (stop the salt anyway, since you have a pleco) and don't do heat. Don't do heat and meds together, and I wouldn't do salt with either of them.

It sounds like you have stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them. Water quality may be an issue as well, and that can increase your chances of disease like ich.
I only did the salt water once. The only 2 fish in my 5 gallon are my betta and baby Pleco

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A 5 gal is much too small for a pleco, even a baby one, and since they're really messy, he could be fouling up the water. I'd rehome the pleco and concentrate on healing your betta.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
A 5 gal is much too small for a pleco, even a baby one, and since they're really messy, he could be fouling up the water. I'd rehome the pleco and concentrate on healing your betta.
Would you suggest moving my baby Pleco to my 55 Gallon tank after him and my betta are both cured of ICH?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom