ICH

Jai

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have experienced ICH for the first time with my neons, I went out 2day to get some ich treatment, the dosage says that one capful (already calculated corresponding to my tank size) added to my tank for: first day, second day, third day and then the sixth day, and ich should be cured. Is this ok?, i mean it must be right because it says on the bottle. Another thing i've been reading around these ich related topic and a number of the members have mentioned about the carbon sponge filter needs to be removed (is it the black one?), do i need to do this?, i've already added the med today. I don't know how ich forms but ever since we here in the u.k have had a heat wave my temp of the tank went zooming up, tried cooling it with relevant methods, ever since then I have noticed the ich...Also the tetra that has got the most noticible white spots has got an orangy/pinky mid area....!?!?!? very distinctive, what might this be?, it moves, eats normally..........

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
ich really is terrible! Ich is a tiny parasite that is only treatable when is in its swimmer stage. when you actually see the white spots, thats when you cant kill the parasite. thats why by raising your temp to 84 you kill them in the most crucial stage of their cycle. also this is the best time to treat with ich meds, continue treating for at least 14 days. Ich is still there long after the spots have dissapeared! also the parasite dies if theres no host, so removing the fish from the tank would have the same effect but rather not. so carry on treating for about 4 - 6 days after youve seen the last spot dissapear. good luck!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ich can't live at the higher temperatures. But... if we cool our tanks too fast then the fish get chilled and ich appears. If your tanks get too warm frequently(temp depends on what you have in the tank) and you have to cool them its best to do it very slowly. From the looks of your signature your fish can handle 78-80f without a problem. Hope that helps.
Carol

Jai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks every1, but there is a problem with the heater I have.....there are no numbers on the heater to indicate the temp (except for the thermometer).....it just goes click, and click and click, goes about 18 times the clicking, I can't just guess right?............and how long do I keep it heated for?,........and after this time do I leave it or do i put it back to the temperature it was?...........

Jai

Valued Member
Reaction score
one more thing i forgot to add, i haven't bothered in removing the carbon sponge?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The carbon will remove the meds from your tank.
The way to tell how your heater works is to set it at a certain spot over night, drop a thermomete in and see what the temp is. Continue doing this and you can tell what temps are at what setting. hope that helps.
Carol

Jai

Valued Member
Reaction score
so that means i must remove the carbon sponge right?.........when do i put it back in?,....it says on the med bottle that treat tank 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th day only........

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom