Ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LJC6780, Jul 1, 2016.

1. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I recently found a guppy with what looked like Ich on her fins. It was only a few spots and I had just moved her to a 20 gallon mother/fry tank. I slowly raised the temp and it's been hanging around 85.something ... i guess I'll bump it up a tad. It seemed like the spots were gone rather quickly on her. No other fish have been affected. I've been feeding garlic juiced food and squirting a bit in the tank as well as putting a slice or two of garlic clove into the tank every couple days.

After I found the guppy I found a couple fish in my 38 gallon with a couple spots. I raised the temp the same day as the other tank. Same deal with the garlic. The spots are still there ... one is a glo white skirt tetra and the other is a Dalmatian platy. I'm not sure what to do. I've done gravel vacs and water changes but the spots remain. I've also added a sponge filter to help with bubbling and extra filtration since the 38 gal only has a 200 gph filter. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Extra aeration and filtration is good.You have to continue the treatent for 4 days.Also change the water frequently.

3. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Ok I'm upping the temp to 89.5 for 3 days and did a partial change today. I'll do a full gravel vac tomorrow.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

To kill ich it has to remain that high for two weeks.

5. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

I read an article that said leave at 89.5 for 3 days then lower to 86 for the remainder ...

6. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

If the ich remains still in their position you have to continue for 2 weeks.

7. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

So, back to my 38 gal. My platy has lost all spots but my white skirt tetra still seems to have something on the tiny fin on its back. It hasn't changed at all over about the last 10 days ... its been up around 89.5 for 2 days (and 85-86 for a week before) now and it hasn't changed. I'm wondering if maybe it is something besides Ich. Thoughts?

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

The tiny fin on their back often simply is white. Oops sorry thought the were black skirts

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice