ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by hutcher, Aug 5, 2015.

1. h

hutcher New Member Member

What the heck, just got over losing molly in premature birthing fry all dead then she died had to take back platy sick water change levels good then notice what looks like salt on black skirted tetras using super ick on day five temp 84 some still on tetras other fish good how long should I continue treatments?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Raise the temperature to 86. At 86F the parasite is no longer able to reproduce. You want to make sure to keep the temperature up and continue any treatment until there have been no signs of ich for at least 3 days in my opinion. But keep the temperature up for at least 7 after the last signs of ich.

I've successfully cured ich in two aquariums at once with no casualties by raising the temperature to 86F and using Kordon Rid-Ich Plus. So far, for me it's been the best Ich medication I've ever used.

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Make sure you have good surface agitation while treating, the oxygen levels drop I hear with the higher temps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    h

Garlic, who would have thought that! Had temp @ 86 but got nervous though fish seemed fine, have bubble curtain turned up full(usually only half way open)have other nozzle maybe air stone. Will adjust temp back to 86. So far so good, should probably not used super ich though it seems to help, just freaked out tough being a newbie!

Garlic, who would have thought that! Had temp @ 86 but got nervous though fish seemed fine, have bubble curtain turned up full(usually only half way open)have other nozzle maybe air stone. Will adjust temp back to 86. So far so good, should probably not used super ich though it seems to help, just freaked out tough being a newbie!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  6. syosinsha

syosinsha New Member Member

Hi LiterallyHydro,

I'm having an ich problem with my clown loaches and pleco tank now. I'm doing research of the treatment for these fish. I found that you wrote "At 86F the parasite is no longer able to reproduce. ". I'm interested in it because I'm trying to find a treatment not using any medication. If the high water temperature can stop the ich parasite reproducing, that means I just have to keep the 86 F water temperature and wait until all ich stopped in the cyst form. Is this correct?

I also have a question. The high water temperature of 86 F can stop the ich cyst reproducing. But does it die after it? Is it still alive, just waiting for the water temperature becoming lower, and then restarts the reproduce?

Thanks

7. LiterallyHydro

For future reference, you should make your own threads so you don't hi-jack the OP's questions.

And from my experience, high temperatures plus water changes will do the trick. You could slowly raise the temperature to 86F and maintain that along with daily water changes near the bottom of the tank to vacuum any free-swimming parasites. You would just maintain the temperature until the last spots have been gone for 14 days. If the Ich can't infect the fish, they will eventually die off and be removed from the tank.

I'm not really good at giving you specifics on Ich treatment because I've only dealt with it 3 times in my lifetime of fish keeping.

8. OP
    OP
    h

Made big mistake!!! Ich

Was using Super Ich working on second bottle and my Black Skirted Tetra still had a little ich on his tail fin. Temp 86 water levels good and switched to Kordon Ich via Amazon next morning two neons lost color became bloated and died. 50 % water change now notice that Black Skirted Tetras barely swimming some color lost won't eat. another neon losing color. Think I poisoned by guys!!! Super Ich and Kordon both made statements about possible adverse reactions with tetras but did not show up until switched to Kordon not sure if one is more mild than other but Ich still shows a little on one BST. So I guess I will continue treatment ... if not everyone dies. This stinks! Any suggestions.... first and last time setting up quarantine tank.

9. LiterallyHydro

Did you add the Rid Ich shortly after using Super Ich cure? It's likely you overdosed the medications by adding them both into the tank at once. One medication is already stressful on the fish, let alone the second one.

I would immediately add a large bag of carbon to the tank with daily water changes until you're confident the medication is completely out. When the medication is out you can assess the situation and add the necessary medication if there are signs of Ich still in the tank.

10. OP
    OP
    h

Did wait allotted time between rid and super but did not take into consideration two different meds mixing, raised by nurse think I would know better. Will water change and put new carbon in filter thanks. This is not all champagne and giggles. On the brighter side I have about 25 molly fry in separate tank they are doing well any suggestions, this is a lot for a rookie.

11. LiterallyHydro

We've all been there. The majority of us have been through a few bumpy times during our hobby in fishkeeping. Don't let it discourage you, there's still a lot of great things you've yet to experience in the hobby :) When everything is smooth sailing it's bliss.

12. OP
    OP
    h

Got home all is well tetras color and neons also water change cleaned filters new charcoal and declorinator with aloe going to try to get pic of tetras tail think it still might have ich or maybe I am bugging anyway I will upload pics for consideration. Thanks for all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice