Ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by benharmer87, Aug 5, 2014.

1. benharmer87

benharmer87 Valued Member Member

I've been noticing my rainbow shark has been flashing for three days
    Didn't notice any white spots on my fish till today my rainbow don't have the spots but my black skirt tetras do. My parameters are amm- 0 nitrate-.25 and nitrate at about 50. I've been doing 25% water changes every other day for a week now. I turned the temp up yesterday to 82. So my question is will epson salt or sea salt work. Wondering cuz I don't have the money to buy med for itch. Oh and there is a bunch of dots on my tank walls. Almost looks like salt. They are not bubbles cuz they dont pop. They just fall off then float away. What is this?

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

I even noticed my pleco staying off of the glass. He has been on the heater since I turned it up yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  2. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Put a straw in so the fish can scratch the itch ! :p
    First make sure it's ich look at pics online it looks like large salt grains sprinkled on you r fish.
    Turn the temp up slowly to about 88 as this will actually kill the ich. Maintain for 2 weeks increase the airaetion in your tank and soak their food on garlic that you make. ( take a garlic clove remove the skin chop it up really small and add a Lil h2o microwave for a few seconds and make potent juice) you can refrigerate this b potion for a few days as well. That will help reduce the stress of you r fish. Good luck. Oh and frequent gravel VAC's .

3. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

It looks like it cuz my tetras fin have white dots on them. Then again I was over feeding and the food started molding. I removed alot of my plants and decors and gravel vaced real good. I did a 25% water change also. Waiting on temp match. I notice like fungus on ny ornaments. I also cleaned them. could this be something else caused by the mold or whatever it was?

I just see white dats on their fins

4. skar

Could be a fungus. Usually ich is on the body. Post a pic

5. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

This is the best I could get. It looks as if there is one one her head but it's a glare. I tripled checked. So I learned you can tell their sex by white dots on their back fins. When i first got them some of them barely noticeable. Now 3 out of 6 got alot. Even on the black skirt. Never noticed them there before.

I haven't even seen them flash.

Attached Files:

6. skar

That's a beautiful black skirt.
    Really hard to tell because it's blurry. :/
    Sometimes they are just kind of gasping . I'm no expert but if it is ich what I've suggested above should work allot safer than meds. I've had ich on my tank twice and both times that worked wonderfully for me.

7. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

Thank you! I will do that. Would you have an idea why my pleco isn't coming off the heater. He's been on there since yeterday. I shook him off and he swam away then right back? Is this normal? He is usually hiding around the rocks.

8. skar

Probably like the algea on your heater.. My amano shrimp hung out on my heater for the first week.
    Or maybe he's unwillingly self treating that there is an illness in your tank and that feels right to him. ??

Stress may be it to.

9. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

10. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

Thank you. Helps alot. I will be doing the heat treatment I did notice some white spots on them so it is itch. Barely starting. I've turned up the heat so thanks again. Im making garlic juice as we speak

11. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

So today they already look better. I haven't seen my rainbow shark flash all day. I know the itch can't be gone already so I will keep the heat up for the two weeks

12. Jamie Boshier

Jamie Boshier Valued Member Member

Flash.... Is this when the fish swims up to something and brushes past a rock or something of the kind??? Think my albino shark may have it... Worrying now as I'm away for two weeks.... Left a 2 week tablet in there for food but more worrying as I have a clown loach in there and I know how vulnerable they are to ich.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

Yes it is. My rainbow shark flashed way before any sign of itch from my tetras or corys.

14. Jamie Boshier

Jamie Boshier Valued Member Member

. Haha. Well I can almost guarantee my clown has it. Infact I bet every fish does.
    Will do my research regarding treating it and get home and do it straight away!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

Yeah if one does more than likely they all do.

16. Mortisha

Mortisha Valued Member Member

To be on the safe side you should keep heat up for 1mth. Same thing happened to me I kept heat up for the month and soaked food in Seachem Garlic Gaurd. A lot of ppl use salt along with heat but if you have scaleless fish they can't tolerate salt.

Bottom feeders are more prone to get it and you can't treat scaleless fish with salt. Just the heat alone will work.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  17. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Treatment for ICH has been posted in #9 above by Riv. I highly recommend this treatment as I've had 100% survival rate. Please read the information completely.

NOTE: Salt is not necessary for treating ICH as stated in the link.

by Mortisha:

"Bottom feeders are more prone to get it and you can't treat scaleless fish with salt. Just the heat alone will work."

All fish are susceptible to ICH and to the best of my knowledge bottom dwellers are no more susceptible than any other fish in the tank.

Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken

18. Mortisha

Mortisha Valued Member Member

When I researched it I read this. The trophozoite eventually matures and is termed a "trophont." It will burst through the cyst wall and then fall to the bottom of the aquarium. It then begins to divide into hundreds of new ich-infecting units called tomites. This is why bottom dwellers are more sesceptible.

19. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you for the additional information! :)

Ken

20. OP
    OP
    benharmer87

Update: its been 8 days now and itch is dying off. Heat has been set to 84 this whole time. My angelfish was covered in itch on the 3 4 5th day. 6th day it cleared up a little. Now completely unnoticeable. Dont see it on any of my fish. I've been foing 25% water changes every other day. So far so good:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice