Ich??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Snailbait, Dec 26, 2012.

1. S

Snailbait New Member Member

My 55g tank is slowly being stocked. I bought two female platies about two months ago, and have received 12 baby platies from them, all doing fine. I then added a juvenile bristlenose and after that, 10 neon tetras.

The tetras had been in for about 2 days when I noticed that two of them appear to have ich. (I've never had it before, but after research I'm sure that it is in fact ich.) Stupidly, I did not QT them as they came from the same place and the pet shop uses one big filtration system for all the tanks. I know I should have used a QT, but the neons looked fine before I noticed the spots. :(

I went back to the pet shop today and had a really close look at their fish, and yep, most of them have it.

So, I've started raising my tanks temp to kill the ich. I read that salt is not good for the bristlenose, correct?

I'm worried about my little platy babies and the bristlenose the most. The adult platies seem fit and fine, and the tetras are probably used to being infested with something or rather. None of the fish are displaying any signs of distress, no odd behaviour at all. However I am a worry wart by nature and I really don't want to lose the baby platies that I have been raising. So far, two tetras have ich (about 5-10 spots) and one baby platy and one other tetra have a spot each.

Could I have some advice, please? Reassurance? Your experience with treating ich with heat, especially concerning the babies? What temperature would you recommend I heat to, and for how long?

Thank you!

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Make the temp. around 82 degrees but make sure it doesn't go up more than 1 degrees per hour. When I got ich in my tank I instantly bought medicine for the tank as long as you by medicine that says its fine for scaleless fish your pleco will be healthy (I bought medicine that was bad for scaleless fish and my pleco was fine) also adding salt is always good and once again my pleco is fine and I would start treating your tank because if your fish don't have it they will soon.

3. s

sambofish Valued Member Member

4. Butterbean

Butterbean Valued Member Member

It is ok to try to cure Ich with heat but you should not use salt with scaleless fish (your BN) You could try using heat first and then if you don't get rid of it there are med's for Ich that you can use on baby fish, tetras and BN I have use quick cure it is safe for them using 1/2 the normal amount for your tank. I have had luck with just raising the temp but I have also over the years had to use med's as well and I really like quick cure it's inexpensive and easy to find (walmart).

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ich is the easiest ailment to treat. Heat alone works 100% of the time - no need for salt. 86 degrees is the minimum, but you can go as high as 90.

6. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum.

Using the heat treatment will require the tank be heated to 86F / 30C. There are a few mutant strains that have developed over the years that are heat resistant from a lack of understanding regarding to the apply this treatment. Think of it along the same lines as starting antibiotics, but stopping them half way through the treatment plan. This is how so many new human diseases have been created over the decades and centuries.

If you should have a heat resistant strain, you can simply raise the temp to 89F / 31.67C.

The key to being successful with this treatment plan is to ensure that the water never cools. Water changes should be done daily or every other day. Replacement water must be heated to avoid a cool down.

Regardless of which treatment plan you opt for, please do not mix them. That is a sure fire way to end with death. Salt should never be used with scaleless fish any more than combining heat with a medicine. The combinations turn into a deadly cocktail.

If you decide to reach for meds, QuickCure is a good one. Not sure if it is available in Aussieland. If not, then look for a general parasitic treatment.

Read the article linked above. It will answer many of your questions. If not, ask away.

Good luck.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, quick cure is my preferred med, if a medication must be used. Really, the only time I would consider using a med is if the fish are infested - covered in ich. Such a fish needs immediate relief, as there's a good chance it will die before the heat treatment provides relief - takes several days to see improvement with the heat.

8. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

If there are no inverts, coppersafe is the best, IMO.

9. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks so much for all the answers, everyone!

I've moved the two worse-off tetras to a separate tank and will treat them on their own. I've also been slowly increasing the temperature, it's just below 30.C now and rising. The fish seem fine so far. :)

I've added salt to the tank with just the two tetras.

I've done a partial water change and a gravel vac, not sure if I want to do too much else to them at the moment, in case I stress the fish.

I would prefer to cure the ich without resorting to meds, but will use them if needed. The only ones I can get locally say they are not safe for scaleless fish though. They also appear to be the ones that stain things? I have some really nice golden driftwood that I really don't want to ruin.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! Does anyone think my baby platies will not survive for any ich related reason? They are strong and healthy otherwise...

10. OP
    OP
    S

Well, the two tetras have passed away. I think it was more due to stress than the ich itself. :/

The heat treatment seems to be going well for the others though. :)

11. OP
    OP
    S

No more spots! Yay!

I can turn the heat down in a week or so. :)

12. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

That is great news! Glad the heat treatment worked so well for you. Keep the heat elevated to complete the treatment as the parasites can come back in a few days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice