Ich 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by JessiNoel21, Dec 4, 2012.

1. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

So even though all my fish where QT for 4 weeks I have noticed ICH forming on the Tetras and my Homey Gourami. Now I cant vac due to my 30 being heavily planted but I was wondering if I slowly raise the tank to 86 and keep it there for 14 days will everyone be okay.I always did the heat method but I know the tetras and GBRS can be heat senitive. Or is there a med I can use the tank is 78 right now and the only med I have is Melafix but I do not want to use it due to my gouramis. My stock is 1 F Opal Gourami,1 F Honey Gourami, 7 3M/4F Gold X-Ray Tetras, M/F GBRs, and 2 F Julie Cory Cats.

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

heat at or above 86 kills the ICH. I know some people here don't vac and get rid of it just fine. In my experience, melefix does nothing for ICH.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't vacuum when I do heat treatments. In my experience it is not necessary.

Also, GBRs like the heat - they are cold sensitive.

4. OP
    OP
    J

So of course what could go wrong has my heater in the fish room died( we run a mini electric heater in there to keep it at 62) so my fish room dropped to 45 so the 30 to 80 from 88 and all the others to 72. So $60 later I have a new mini heater and the tanks heating up and of course the rams laid eggs but now I am gonna lose them thanks to the ICH outbreak which I found out was from a plant I ordered from EBay. The seller had a outbreak in his tank 2 weeks ago and of course they got into the mat my Java ferns where on so I now have to treat it and pray all I lose is the eggs from it. He is refunding me but I still have to deal with it.

5. Jaysee

I have heard that parasites can hitch a ride on plants.

6. OP
    OP
    J

Well it did I normally do a bleach dip but it had snail eggs on it so I did not want to kill them so I just rinsed it in treated water to get any dirt off of it. Lucy my Opal gourami loves to eat baby snails that is why I did not do the bath I am now wishing I did. Okay heat at 88 check, NLS Thera A+ ordered check(of course I ran out this morning lol), made garlic water to soak food in check, sad I will more than likely lose the GBRs eggs yes :-(, and going crazy check. And thing else anyone can think of I should do or feed?

7. Jaysee

I suspect these eggs won't be the last :)

8. OP
    OP
    J

Me too but I am just sad they don't even have a chance :-(. They are still guarding them and fanning them so we will see. Then again I have my hands full with my clowns as it is I have 1 1/2 month old fry and 1week old fry.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Started Kordon Rid Ich plus hoping can help.So the plan is to do 30% water changes every day keep heat at 88 and treat with Rid Ich plus for two weeks.

10. C

Rid ICH contains malachite green. If you were worried about your eggs before, their survival rate just went down even more.

11. OP
    OP
    J

They ate them so that is why I added the Rid Ich Plus. So far my GBR pair and my honey gourami are the only ones showing Ich on them but I am treating the whole tank to be on the safe side. Plus even though my male GBR looks like salt is all over him he is still trying to Mack it too my female and eating anything that floats in front of him lol. So hopefully this is the last time I see ICH in my tanks. But if not I do know how to treat it the right way now. I used to do salt baths with normal table salt.

12. Jaysee

You really don't need to medicate if you are doing a heat treatment.

13. OP
    OP
    J

I know but I want to. Just to make sure I kill it cuz seeing I can't vac I figured half dose 7.5 ml will help.

14. OP
    OP
    J

Well looks like the heat and the half dose of Kordon Rid Ich Plus is working. I see no more white spots forming on anyone and the three that have them are looking much better no more and my male GBR looks like some spots have fallen off his tail only has four now instead of eight I counted yesterday and his wife has less on her body and my honey has not gotten any more ;-).

15. C

Treating with medications that have Malachite Green is not being safe. Malachite Green is often worse than what it is treating.

16. OP
    OP
    J

Ok so I will stop using it and only do the heat and 30% water changes for two weeks. I've been watching the tank closely and everyone has been doing great but if you think it is a bad idea I will stop the meds.I never had a problem with it in my QT tank but than again it stained that tank blue.

17. C

If you don't have any inverts in the tank, Coppersafe is a affective and much less harmful.

I'm copy and pasting from another thread.

I'm very against malachite green. It's some pretty nasty stuff. Malachite green is used in dying leather. It can have some adverse affects in fish. It has a cumulative effect, the body isn't able to rid itself of the substance so it will build, sometimes to lethal levels. Malachite green has been shown to damage the liver in scientific tests. Malachite Green is banned for use on fish intended for human consumption in just about every developed country.

18. OP
    OP
    J

Okay definitely stoping use did not know that. I have MTS and ram horns that is why I was doing a half dose but now I am just stoping using it.

19. C

Yeah, it gets used in fish medication because it's extremely cheap to make. Kordon does make an all natural ICH med. ICH Attack if I remember correctly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice