Ich Won't Go Away? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jodie1997, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jodie1997

Jodie1997 New Member Member

My Blackfoot started showing signs of ich over 4 months ago now, and since then I have tried using multiple treatments including a combination of whitespot and fungus drops, paraguard (seachem), Melafix(api) and am now using aquarium salt (I don't have a heater so can't increase temperature) and the fish still has spots.

The thing is there is a second fish in the tank that doesn't have any spots, and both of them don't seem to be getting worse. Sometimes they can be a little lethargic but other than that they are great. I've attached a picture of the blackmoor so you can see his spots; it's a little blurry but you can see the spots on his gill plates.

Any advice on this would be great, I don't even know if it's ich anymore!

Attached Files:

2. Jay Chen

Jay Chen New Member Member

He doesn't look like he has any white spots on him

3. Milliemae124

Milliemae124 Valued Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    Jodie1997

Sorry, they're pretty hard to photograph. I've indicated where they are in the picture; if you're having trouble seeing them maybe they're normal?
    He's not old enough to be showing breeding tubercles but he definitely hasn't always had them.

Attached Files:

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

He doesn't have ich...if he did he would be covered in it with sugar like cystals over the body and the fins at the same time.

How is he reaction to food and such? What is the size of the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    Jodie1997

His appetite is still really good and generally he is still a very active fish apart from some lethargy occasionally. The tank I have at the moment is small at 29L but I'm looking to upgrade very soon as I know this is too small.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Any other fish in there? Yes the 29l is quite small (7.6 gallons). Goldfish have a high bio load so essentially they're living in their own waste which means high ammonia and leads to high stress.

I think you might be overthinking things a little. The lethargy might be coming from the ammonia since the tank is so small.

8. OP
    OP
    Jodie1997

Just one smaller goldfish, I do try and keep up with water changes to keep on top of the ammonia levels, but thank you for the advice! So what do you recommend about the little spots? Should I be worried?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice