Ich / White Spot Disease With Tetra's And Shrimp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youta14

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Yesterday evening I saw a blue tetra of mine going almost belly up. Upon looking more closely I noticed all of my fish in my aquarium have white spots. Upon further research I am certain it is ich or white spot disease. I got new fish 2 weeks ago, 5 green tiger barbs, and I assume they took the disease with them. I did not quarantine them as I don't have a seperate aquarium for that. The aquarium I have is a 15G/54L and it's stocked with 4 Albino Cory's, 5 Blue Tetra's, 5 Fire Tetra's, 2 Otocinclus, 2 Bamboo shrimp and the 5 new tiger barbs. I know the aquarium is on the small side, but we are planning to upgrade to a bigger aquarium soon, when we get the money for it, but back to the main point.
As I noticed my aquarium is infected with the white spot disease, I did some research on how to deal with it, I saw the option of raising temperature, which I am unsure of. Is it okay to just raise the temperature, won't the fish get stressed if the temperature is as high as 30C?
The second option is medication. I looked around and found some on the internet, but I don't know if it's alright to use medications in an aquarium which has shrimp. As I live in Europe, I can't get every type of medicine I find on forums or anywhere else on the internet. I have found the JBL Punktol which is said to be copper-free, which is good for shrimp.
I also read that if you have tetra's, you need to 1/2 the dose that is on the medications recommend amount of dosing.

To sum up my questions:
Is it okay to raise the temperature to 30C?
What medicines are recommended with shrimp, what can kill the shrimp and what cannot?
Do I have the 1/2 the dose because I have tetra's?

Please help, I don't want my fish or shrimp to suffer from this disease for any longer.

Orange Oreo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I dont recommend using medication, it almost never works for me and can kill the fish if over dosed. Heat for ich is perfect, but here is what you need to do. It is very simple but may take time, just raise the temperature very slowly so it won't shock them. If u cranked the heat up right away it would be like someone put you in a pool than put u in a super hot hot tub so just crank it up slowly. Crank it up 5-10 degrees, I wouldn't go much higher. Wait a couple hours then crank it up a few more and keep repeating the process. In a few weeks the ich should start to die as it is to hot for them and fall off of the fish. One question I will ask if I can is what is your temperature currently? Also remember to slowly crank the temperature down after the ich is gone back to the normal tempature because it's the same thing, it will shock them because you are cranking it down now so you need to take it slow also. You need to crank it back down because being in hot water that they dont like for too long can hurt them, but dont be worried just as long as you crank it back down. They need to be able to adjust to certain changes in the wild anyway. Inspect your fish closley to make sure all of its gone, sometimes it may hide from your eye.
Hope I helped! Good luck!

Last edited:

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you do the temperature route remember you need to do some water changes. It helps get rid of Ich that is floating around.

I did the medication route by using Kordon Rid Ich. It was simple to use. Just follow the instructions. I honesty used a teaspoon to pour the meds in. 24 hours later I did the water change and dose again. Repeat next 7 days.

OP
Youta14

Youta14

Reaction score
I dont recommend using medication, it almost never works for me and can kill the fish if over dosed. Heat for ich is perfect, but here is what you need to do. It is very simple but may take time, just raise the temperature very slowly so it won't shock them. If u cranked the heat up right away it would be like someone put you in a pool than put u in a super hot hot tub so just crank it up slowly. Crank it up 5-10 degrees, I wouldn't go much higher. Wait a couple hours then crank it up a few more and keep repeating the process. In a few weeks the ich should start to die as it is to hot for them and fall off of the fish. One question I will ask if I can is what is your temperature currently? Also remember to slowly crank the temperature down after the ich is gone back to the normal tempature because it's the same thing, it will shock them because you are cranking it down now so you need to take it slow also. You need to crank it back down because being in hot water that they dont like for too long can hurt them, but dont be worried just as long as you crank it back down. They need to be able to adjust to certain changes in the wild anyway. Inspect your fish closley to make sure all of its gone, sometimes it may hide from your eye.
Hope I helped! Good luck!
Thank you for your information! As I am desperate to cure the ich as soon as I possible can, I already got some medications, one that my local fish store recommended for me. While looking through the tank earlier during a water change, I noticed 2 of my fish disappeared, they probably died and got eaten by the shrimp and other fish.
Thanks for the extra headsup that the temperature rise method isn't immediately harmful for them. Currently my water temperature is 26C. For how long should I crank up the temperature? For a couple of days/weeks? When do I know if the ich is completely gone, even if I can't see it anymore?
Thank you for the help

OP
Youta14

Youta14

Reaction score
If you do the temperature route remember you need to do some water changes. It helps get rid of Ich that is floating around.

I did the medication route by using Kordon Rid Ich. It was simple to use. Just follow the instructions. I honesty used a teaspoon to pour the meds in. 24 hours later I did the water change and dose again. Repeat next 7 days.
Good to know someone else is on the medication method! How did it go?
I will keep doing water changed until I'm sure my fish are healthy again!

Orange Oreo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You should let the tempature be cranked up for a couple weeks, it may vary on how many but I would say maybe 3 to 4 weeks if needed. I'm not totally sure because this has never happened to me before but I do help people with this type of stuff so I do know what I'm saying. For the telling if the ich is completely gone, when you look at your fish there should not be any white spots than from there let the heat be cranked for one extra week just to make sure all of it dies. Don't let the heat go on for more than a week, it's just to kill off the ich if it hasn't all ready. It's completely ok for you to be in a rush to cure your fish, most people are just be careful with medication! Also did the pet store say it was ok to be given in the same tank as your shrimp and if they didn't, does it say that on the bottle? What pet store did you get it from?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom