Ich... What To Do With Tank And Remaining Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Katiesue, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Katiesue

KatiesueNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    We're new to the aquarium world. We've had a 20 gal community tank set up since January. The water was finally clear, everything was looking good, I tested the water 1-2x a week and it always was good...no fish lost, and tank was cycled. We left for a week long trip, came back and found that the automatic feeder had malfunctioned. We had a tank full of stressed, sick, and dead fish. The remaining fish were covered in white spots, and had some fin rot. I went to the LFS and the recommended Ich-X. I began adding it to the water, per instructions. I added it to the main tank, as we don't have another. All but 2 neon tetras died. The2 tetras seem to be doing well. Their spots are clearing up. I plan to continue to use the meds for a few more days.
    Now...my question. We have to move a few hours away in a couple of months. I know I would have to re-cycle the 20 gallon tank, but I am thinking of bleaching and cleaning everything out really well to make sure the disease is gone and just starting over with it once we move. I want to get a smaller tank to house the 2 tetras, and a snail that we have (it is currently living in a big jar, I took it out before medicating the tank). What size tank could I use for the tetras/snail for a temporary time (1-2 months)? And, do I need to get additional tetras, as I know they like groups? I am hesitant to add more right now, as I don't want them to get sick, too. If we do get a smaller tank for the time being, I plan on using it as a quarantine tank if the need arises in the future. If you have other suggestions, too, please chime in. I am new to this and am pretty frustrated at the moment. Thank you!

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You won't have to re-cycle the tank if you keep the substrate in water and the filter media wet for the move. What I would do is drain and dismantle the aquarium last, leave enough water in it to cover the substrate, load it in the car last and move it. The tetras should be okay in a separate container with an airstone if you could be sure they wouldn't overheat or get too cool. Put the filter media in the tank on top of the substrate-it would need to be covered with tank water too.
    Sterilizing your tank is pretty pointless if you've already treated and gotten rid of the ich. If you think about it, your fish were fine until their water got polluted and they became stressed. For them to get a parasite, the parasite had to already be present in the tank. You've treated for the parasite and straightened out the tank parameters. Why sterilize? But I do recommend getting a second small tank just for quarantining any future fish before adding them to the 20 gallon to keep from re-introducing ich (or any other disease) to the tank. I would not get ANY more fish until you are completely done with the treatment and I'd wait a week or two after that to make sure all signs of the ich are gone and the tetras have completely recovered from the stress of the disease and the feeding disaster.

3. AbraCadaver

AbraCadaverValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +113
    Experience:
    Just started
    You need to treat for ich about 3 days after the spots are gone from your fish. The only time you can kill them is when they are not attached to your fish. Ultimately, bleaching everything won’t do anything but kill your cycle. It’s a parasite, not bacterial. Wouldn’t hurt to add salt with iodine, either. I use ich x normally but had an outbreak recently and was out so I only used salt and it went away fairly quickly.

Also, ich x won’t hurt your snail. You can put him back in the tank. He also won’t get ich.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2019
  4. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Check the label of the medication before putting the snail back in the tank. The Ich might not hurt him, but the medication might! Also, salt WILL hurt some snails. Also, NEVER use table salt with iodine added, the iodine won't hurt most fish but the anti-caking agents used in most table salt will and the iodine won't be of any benefit for ich anyway. Personally, I consider salt useless for anything but salt dips for certain diseases and potentially harmful as an aquarium additive except for freshwater fish that come from brackish origins. As a beginning fish-keeper always use products made for aquarium fish until you get your feet wet lol!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Katiesue

KatiesueNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks! Does Ich-x hurt moss balls? The snail and the moss balls are currently residing on my kitchen counter in a jar. We start showing our home next week, and I'd rather not have them out if its safe to put all back in the tank!

Thank you!

Thank you so much!

6. OP
    OP
    Katiesue

KatiesueNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    One more question...the 2 tetras are doing great. All signs of ich is gone from them and our tank water has never looked better. I've medicated for 4 days past the last symptom, and was planning on doing a water change and putting the carbon filter back in tomorrow. But, the tetras are seeming very skittish. I was wondering if I could add a few more tetras to the tank, while there is still medication in it, and forego the quarantine tank this time? Or is that a terrible idea? Also, my moss balls and snail have been out of the tank for 2 weeks. Is it safe to add them back in after the medication is gone, or will they possibly reintroduce ich? I've read varying things on the ich lifecycle and am a bit confused. Thanks!

7. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You always risk introducing new fish to a tank without quarantining. Ich can only be killed when its in the free swimming stage (not on the fish). So you wouldn't know if they're infected unless they had the spots. It's really up to you, I never add fish without quarantining.