Ich Treatment

1. sgh360 Member Member

HI my tetras are suffering from ich

I bought wardley essential ick away and API aquarium salt

How much salt should i add to my 10 gallon tank?

How many days should i add salt?

Do i need to remove the bio fiber, filter cartridge and turn off the filter. or can i just leave the Biofiber and filter on?

How long should i keep treatment going? it says once every 3 days but if it safer to do it everyday?

sry if i ask to many questions im just worried

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry your fish have ich. :(

I can't answer your salt question, sorry, I don't use it.
    Many meds can kill off your cycle.
    You can treat with out meds and salt. Ich can't live in high temps.
    Slowly raise the temp to 84F, increase aeration to make up for less oxygen in warmer water.
    Leave the temp raising for at least 2 weeks.
    Do water changes and thorough gravel vacs to pick up any ich spores.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with lucy....meds and salt arent usually needed...are you willing to try it without it?

the warmer temps for 2 weeks, adding an extra bubble rock for more oxygen as warmer water contains less oxygen, and 2 gravel vacs a week to clean up any ich spores, will probably do it..and then you wont loose your cycle and have to cycle over again....

for future after the ich is gone, id turn up the temps to 78-80 for them ...what else is in the tank? finding out why they got ich is just as important as curing it :) good luck!

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd go higher with the temp, but that's JMO. Ich can sometimes survive in temps lower than 86-88F. I use salt to treat ich as well, but a lot of people here don't. I'd try the salt before the medication.

5. sgh360 Member Member

thx for the helpful hints. temp is out the question i cant get up to 86 dont have does adjustuble heaters, although i got it to 81 degrees hopefully that'll help, i will try the salt i bought since it wont disturbed the cycle hopelly the ick will disspear in the next 2 weeks. appreciate the advice

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

81 isn't going to be high enough to kill ich, just high enough to speed up the life cycle.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

heaters are pretty cheap now a days....the 81 is a temp they can live in daily..ich and your fish babies..its not high enough...even if you decide to use the salt, which just irritates fish even more and makes them over produce slime coat, the ich will still be present in the tank and survive at 81...I hope things get better!

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The salt is great for treating ich, as it helps in conjunction with high temps to kill ich in its free swimming stage. It's the only time I use salt for anything in FW. However, you'll still need to get the temp up higher. I'd suggest picking up an adjustable heater.

9. sgh360 Member Member

how often should i do water changes at 85 F? managed get it at 85 :)

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

twice a week, with gravel vaccuuming to get rid of ich spores - for 2 weeks.

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello SGH. Sorry to hear that your fish are dealing with ICH. I hope you have a full recovery!
    Ich: An Old Cure for an Old Disease
    Great information from the above posters.
    Ken

12. sgh360 Member Member

thank you everyone and aquarist thx for the article it reminded me about how strong parasite can become when stores treat it with medication well i got a new heater a Hagen Tronic Heater 50W it has a setting 78 to 85 but skips to 90 F

will putting the setting at 90F harm my tetras or just kill ick or should i just put it at 85F?

Also will an air pump will help with the aeriation?

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

85 should be fine, and use an extra airstone. good luck :)

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello sgh. I agree with mommyBaby. 85 should do well, and the air stone will help greatly. In the link I provided it also states using salt. I personally don't recommend using it but some do. Some fish just can't handle it as well as others.
    Best wishes!
    Ken