Ich Treatment

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MuchCunfooz, Aug 4, 2017.

1. M

MuchCunfooz New Member Member

I cannot get to the store until Sunday to get aquarium salt or medication so will this salt work?

Attached Files:

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    M

MuchCunfooz New Member Member

The heater that I have is set to 80 and can't be adjusted.

Can they survive until Sunday until I can get the salt or heater

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Well, I don't know about that type of salt but you won't be able to treat ich with that alone. I guess you may just need to wait til you get the med.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

No you cannot use that salt

You need plain salt, whether aquarium salt, kosher salt, pickling salt whatever. But the only ingredient is can contain is SALT.
    ad3893dcdb6913da0e9fdbc236cb71aa.jpg

Also if you add salt for ich do not add medications later for it. If you are using salt you really need to be able to adjust temp also to speed up the life cycle as you should not have salt in the aquarium for long.

You also need to address the cause of the ich before adding anything, including salt. It is almost always caused by issues with your water. Not enough water changes causing your parameters to be off kilter is almost certainly the main factor. I would strongly recommend a very large water change immediately, like 75%, then when you refill you can add the correct salt at no more than one level teaspoon per gallon. I generally use about half of that. Be sure to completely dissolve the salt before adding, I usually use a small cup of very hot water and swirl is around until about a minute after I cannot see any remaining granules then add it to a pitcher of treated water and pour as the final fill on the tank. If there is any salt granules left it can cause damage to the fish. Do every other day water changes of at least 25% for two weeks then another very very large water change is about 75%. Long term exposure to salt causes permanent damage internally for fish.

Last note, if it is ich and its just beginning water changes generally resolve it, more progressed cases salt can help and in advanced cases medication will be necessary and if it's an advanced case your best bet is to do nothing until you pick up some paraguard (on whatever med you decide) on Sunday and ONLY dose that med.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice