Ich treatment

1. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Is the salt method A) reliable? And B) harmful to snails or shrimp?

I found some info on how to do it but I've heard the salt will kill plants!

I think my fish have something, all 4 of my cories are lethargic, and sometimes flashing. I have 3 adults and 1 fry of mollies. 2 of them are going to drop fry soon. Eveyone is plenty active at feeding time, but the cories especially are just laying in the sand or gravel most of the time. I really don't want them to die :( I'm set to do a pwc today, I'd like to start treatment right after

2. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Do you see any white spots that kind of look like salt on them? What are your water parameters? Sorry your fish are sick : (

I don't keep inverts some perhaps Bithimala can help there.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

4. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Ok thank you, my heat is at 82 now.

It's not easy to tell if there are white spots as I chose dalmation mollies, but my cories are definitely flashing. I had 2 babies, they were fine. Then I bought 2 adults from a different supplier and I even asked before hand if they could of been sick, the lady said probably not since they weren't lethargic or breathing stressed. But of course I take them home and now I have 4 effected fish :(

Is there something else it could be? I have 4 lethargic cories that occasionally flash. I haven't seen the mollies flash but they are hiding in corners (I expect them to deliver fry any day now)

I can test water after I do the water change. I should be cycled by now, my ammonia test is a strip so even after using something like ammo lock it will still test positive. So when I test it I usually disregard it.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, it could be something else. Other parasites can cause flashing too.

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Salt would be harmful to the snails. I think, in very small amounts, you can get away with it with shrimp, but I wouldn't risk it. As TX mentioned, it's also not good for your cories. Also, if you aren't seeing any spots, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's ich.

If you do use meds, you would want to remove all of the inverts before treating the tank.

Tank parameters would be very helpful.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Are you sure the fish have Ich?
    It's quite normal for corys to just rest under wood or plants for long periods & the occasional flashing could be them ridding their gills of sand from feeding, however if they're flashing a lot then that's cause for concern.
    I don't use or recommend the use of salt at all but that's my personal choice, if you do choose to use it then the corys will be fine with it short term.

8. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure that its ich, and actually I just recently put sand in the middle of the aqurium so that may be what they are doing. But as far as activity goes they act normal for a period of time but then they just lay there looking dead. Could they be sleeping and I'm just bothering them lol. They don't seem to be breathing fast.

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That sounds like normal cory behaviour, you could look in my tanks right now & not see a single cory out & about, they're all just chilling.

10. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I hope so. I just did a water change and everyone is swimming around checking out the new driftwood and plants.