Ich treatment with scaleless fish

Candis

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 100 gallon with 4 discus, 4 angels, 2 Sterbai corys, 1 Venezuelan Cory, 1 mystery Cory, a clown loach, 1 stick catfish, 2 cardinal tetras, and 1 very old blood parrot. No plants. Sand bottom with a canister filter and over the side filter. The only thing I could get in a pinch was API super ick cure. I raised the temp to 86 and treated at half dose as per the instructions bc of the scaleless fish. I treated two days in a row and did a 30% water change today. Any advice? Preferred treatment, etc?
5A86C91D-809B-46FE-BCBA-C74C9F55A572.jpeg

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When treating ich you can either use meds or the heat treatment, generally you don't want to use both as that adds extra stress. With the heat treatment the ich will usually be gone in about 2 weeks, with meds it seems to be cured much faster but, as you know, you have to be careful with scaleless fish.

Seeing as you've already raised the temp and treated the tank, just keep an eye on things and continue as usual. Do some extra water changes and add an extra air stone if you can, warmer water depletes O2 so you have to be careful with that. If the fish show stress then stop using the meds, add active carbon to remove the chemicals and just use the heat treatment.

OP
Candis

Candis

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Demeter said:
When treating ich you can either use meds or the heat treatment, generally you don't want to use both as that adds extra stress. With the heat treatment the ich will usually be gone in about 2 weeks, with meds it seems to be cured much faster but, as you know, you have to be careful with scaleless fish.

Seeing as you've already raised the temp and treated the tank, just keep an eye on things and continue as usual. Do some extra water changes and add an extra air stone if you can, warmer water depletes O2 so you have to be careful with that. If the fish show stress then stop using the meds, add active carbon to remove the chemicals and just use the heat treatment.
Only reason I increased the temp as well as the meds is that’s what the instructions on the bottle I had said to do. I've thought about bringing the heat back down to 80 with all that I’ve read. There’s so many different opinions and exactly what to do. I can add an air stone to provide more O2. All the fish appear to be fine so far. I’m just really worried about the health of all my fish. I don’t want to lose any if possible. I quarantined the newer fish for 14 days prior to adding them to tank, but just noticed the ick and some flashing a few days ago on the fish I already had established. I guess I’ve been lucky and in 15 years never had to deal with ick before. Thank you for the input. Any help is appreciated.

wishuponafish

Reaction score
I've treated it successfully with a half dose of API super ick cure following instructions on the bottle and temp at 81F.

OP
Candis

Candis

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wishuponafish said:
I've treated it successfully with a half dose of API super ick cure following instructions on the bottle and temp at 81F.
How long did you treat? I treated two days in a row at half dose, then did a 30% water change. Fish looked exactly the same so I treated again for two days at half dose and then did another 30% water change. I’m about to pop pregnant and I don’t know how long I can keep this up. Fish still look the same and it hasn’t spread to any other fish than the two angels that had it to begin with.

Attachments

wishuponafish

Reaction score
Candis said:
How long did you treat? I treated two days in a row at half dose, then did a 30% water change. Fish looked exactly the same so I treated again for two days at half dose and then did another 30% water change. I’m about to pop pregnant and I don’t know how long I can keep this up. Fish still look the same and it hasn’t spread to any other fish than the two angels that had it to begin with.
I treated once every 2 days for three times, with a water change and gravel vac right before each dose. Then I left the heat up for another week. The fact that it hasn't spread or got worse is a good sign, since the whole point of the treatment is to kill the next generation of parasites that hatch from the cysts that are laid so it doesn't spread, not to heal the existing symptoms.

Maybe you could dose one more time and let it sit for a week with the heat up?

OP
Candis

Candis

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wishuponafish said:
I treated once every 2 days for three times, with a water change and gravel vac right before each dose. Then I left the heat up for another week. The fact that it hasn't spread or got worse is a good sign, since the whole point of the treatment is to kill the next generation of parasites that hatch from the cysts that are laid so it doesn't spread, not to heal the existing symptoms.

Maybe you could dose one more time and let it sit for a week with the heat up?
That’s what I’ll try. I did a water change today and will dose again in the morning for the next two days and then another water change. Did you put the carbon back in after the last water change?

wishuponafish

Reaction score
Candis said:
That’s what I’ll try. I did a water change today and will dose again in the morning for the next two days and then another water change. Did you put the carbon back in after the last water change?
I didn't use carbon because the half dose didn't stain the water much and supposedly the meds break down over time. But that's probably when you're supposed to add the carbon, yes. Wish you luck.

OP
Candis

Candis

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wishuponafish said:
I didn't use carbon because the half dose didn't stain the water much and supposedly the meds break down over time. But that's probably when you're supposed to add the carbon, yes. Wish you luck.
Thank you!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom