Ich Treatment Not Working?

Boon40

Reaction score
Hi, my 10 gallon tank with 1 betta and 3 cory catfish has had ich for a very long time. Started out using Tetra ich guard, didn't work. Tried the 86 degree and salt treatment, hasn't worked. So I purchased Super Ich Cure by API while keeping the heat at 86-88f, and it hasn't worked the first try either, after following the directions. I'm doing another round of the super ich cure, but I feel like I'm running out of options... I just want to save my fish. What am I doing wrong, or what else can I do? Thanks for the help.

Agrivoi1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you havent done so you need to put your fish in a seperate tank to treat them for 4-6weeks. In that time keep your original tank filtering so it wont let the parasite to reproduce.

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's not ich.

Ich will have white salt spots EVERYWHERE. It would look like salt sprinkled on him, and primarily, ich attacks the body, not just the fins. I see 2 small white beads on his top and bottom fin. Do your cories have it?

Could just me slight fin rot or maybe flukes....but I've never dealt with flukes, it's a similar parasite to ick. I would stop with the ich treatment, and maybe try prazipro. Or something that targets a multitude of parasites. I would transfer the sick fish to a quarantine though...You don't want to ruin your BB in your main tank by adding medications (if you do not remove the carbon from your filter while medicating, then the carbon will pull all the medicine right out of the tank via your filter, if you leave the carbon out for too long, the tank can be thrown outta whack). ALSO, you should be careful when trying different medications like I recommended. Some medications don't play well with others and can harm your fish when mixed. (just like some human meds). Another reason to quarantine.

Hmmm, just viewed the second picture and that does look more like ich....I've been told that there are 26 different species of the ich parasite, and each one has certain immunities and weaknesses...Though, ALL of them cannot reproduce in water that is above 86 F. SO, if it is ich, and the water is as warms as you say it is, they should dissipate and die off naturally. I've gotton ich in my main tank before on my ocelot danios, they were the only ones who had it and were covered, I just raised the temp of my tank to 86 F and after about a week, they were gone.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom