Ich treatment! Need help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Tom3256, Jun 24, 2016.

1. T

Tom3256 New Member Member

So I've recently been cycling a 35 gallon tank for two fancy goldfish.
    It has been cycling for two weeks. I've used the necessary items such as stress coat and stress zyme.
    it has a filter and an aerator.
    So my local fish retailer was a little dry on goldfish so I foolishly went to another shop to purchase two fancy goldfish.
    A black moor and a fantail. Upon releasing them into the tank I noticed the black moor had white spots on its body, ich. This is where I'm having problems.
    Im using King British WS3 to try and kill the ich. The spots went away for a while but came back. I then set up a ten gallon quarantine tank for the goldfish where they are being treated (I know ten gallon isn't near suffice but it was all I had). I then placed a heater in the main tank, cranked it up to 86F and I'm continuing to use the WS3.
    heres the help I need.
    when will it be safe to put the fish back into the tank? How long will it take for the tank to be cleansed from ich? And if the fish are put back into the tank at a normal cool temperature but a couple of spots are still lingering on them, will the ich break loose again?
    Thanks.
    additional details.
    0 ammonia
    Small bit of nitrite.
    0 nitrate.
    ph between 7 and 8.

2. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure how to go about cold water fish... however...

Ich cannot live without a host. It will die in about 2 weeks. So if there's no fish in the tank you dont need to crank the heat or use meds. Just do several large waterchanges and good substrate vacuums.

Did you switch your filter to the 10g as well? If it doesn't have an ammonia source any BB will die in a day or so.

I would turn the temp back down and put them back in the main tank. No reason to move them to the 10g. But by doing so that tank is now infected, so you'll have to clean it out well.

3. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I would do 4 weeks. 10gal will be fine for the time being. My black moor had ich. I got it off him in 24hrs. Water change 50%. Did a 24hr of Fungus Clear tabs. 50% the next day and he has not had a issue since.

I could be wrong but 86 sounds way to hot. 80 would be my recommend temp.

No other fish has ich signs?

4. tokiodreamy

I believe the tank with no fish is at 86. For tropical fish, this is the recommended temp for the heat treatment so as long as there is no fish its fine.

I would not increase heat and treat with meds at the same time with the fish. With some meds its a deadly combination.

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think both fish should be moved back to the main tank where they would be more comfortable. As stated above, it's not recommended to raise the heat and use meds at the same time as that would cause more stress to the fish. If the med wasn't working before, I would just use heat this time. Here's a thread for more info:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...206-ich-ick-life-cycle-natural-treatment.html

It's also important to leave the temp at 86F for the full 2 weeks, adding an air stone to provide more oxygen for your fish and do a water change/gravel vac at least every other day. The water changes should also help you cycle your tank since your presence of nitrites indicate an uncycled tank as well. What test kit are you using?

6. OP
    OP
    T

Tokiodreamy,
    thanks for the information. The ten gallon tank has been running in the background for a while (we have other tropical tanks) so the tank is cycled and ready for any fish, By me saying that I set it up was implying that I took out its heater, let it cool, put the goldfish in, and then proceeded to put the heater in the main tank and heat it up.
    I am treating the tank with WS3 as well as the heater but the quarantine tank is just getting treated with WS3.
    my main question is, If the fish are put into the tank with a few spots on them then will the whole tank get re infected again?

Scott Musser,
    thanks for replying,
    the tank that's being treated with heat has no fish in it. The fish were moved to the ten gallon quarantine were they are being treated with WS3.
    the orange fantail has been infected aswell.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  7. el337

Did the 10g tank have any other inhabitants before you put the goldfish in? If not, it can't be cycled without an ammonia source.

It would've been better just to keep the goldfish in the 35g because it's likely that both tanks are now infected. If you put the fish back in the 35g, I don't think it would matter about the tank getting re-infected since the ich spores may still be in the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    T

el337,
    thanks for the feed back,
    the ten gallon had some live bearers in it before and housed a Molly with fin rot for about a month. I'm not sure if that's suffice.
    the main reason I don't want to put the goldfish back yet is because I'm afraid the heat will stress them out to the point of death. My plan is to treat the main tank with heat. Keep the goldfish in their cooler temperature water while being treated with WS3. And after two weeks if the goldfish are showing signs of better health, to put them into the 35g, of course after removing the heater that is.

9. el337

How long ago did the 10g have fish in it? Does it have a filter?

The goldfish will be ok with the raised temp since it's just temporary but you can certainly try using meds first to see if that gets rid of it.

10. OP
    OP
    T

el337,
    the molly was very recent, in fact two weeks ago. The live bearers were a couple of months before that. Ok so if I am going to put the goldfish into the main tank, will I lower the heat? Or acclimate them to the 86F? Thanks for replying it's helping a lot.

11. el337

If the 10g tank was without fish for 2 weeks, I'm afraid it will not have been cycled since the beneficial bacteria would have died off without an ammonia source.

If you're deciding to put the fish back in the main tank, you can continue using meds (and removing the heater) or use the heat method. If heat method, I would slowly acclimate them to the temp before adding them straight into the tank.

12. OP
    OP
    T

el337,
    ok thank you for the help.
    i will update yous on the situation.
    again, thanks.

13. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Thank you for correcting me. Good luck!

14. OP
    OP
    T

Ok guys just a quick update.
    since we last left off I have lowered the temp of the heater down to its minimum and then after waiting I acclimated the fish to the tank. I then slowly raised the temp up to 76F. At this point the spots are off the fish but I'll need to continue treatment. They do seemed stressed though. Their dorsal fins are hardly ever up.
    once treatment is over and the water is cool again should they stop being stressed? Thanks!

15. el337

Yes, they should be.

16. tokiodreamy

Do you have the temp raised while medicating? If you do, I'd slowly lower the temp. Having both treatments can sometimes be fatal depending on the meds.

17. OP
    OP
    T

el337,
    ok good to know!

tokiodreamy,
    No I'm just using the heat treatment. It seems to be a lot more effective so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  18. OP
    OP
    T

Ok quick question.
    this Thursday it will be two weeks of me treating Ich.
    the first week I used the medicine which seemed to not be as effective.
    and now this second week I'm using the heat treatment which is working nicely.
    The fish seem really stressed over the heat. So could I take the heater out this Thursday or will I wait another week? Thanks,

19. tokiodreamy

How the heat treatment is supposed to work is:
    - keep at high temp until all spots are gone
    - keep doing heat treatment until all spots have been consistently gone for 2 weeks

My question is did you put carbon in the filter to take out the meds? Are you doing daily water changes? If you're at 86F maybe slowly turn it down to 84F to give them a slight break from the heat. Not sure how this all goes down with cold water fish.

20. el337

The heat treatment needs to be done for the full 2 weeks even if you no longer see spots. Have you added extra air stones to increase oxygen?

You also mentioned you had a bit of nitrites in your first post. What are your parameters now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice