Ich Treatment Done But Fish Still Seem Sick Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Toniko, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TonikoNew MemberMember

Our tank is 42gal freshwater
    We noticed white spot on a fish or 2 and acted quick to get the recommended treatment (api brand super ick cure benzaldahyde green) started use March 15, raised the water temp, and removed the filters. We did the 48 hr follow up and the 48 hr 25% water exchange installing new filters on Tuesday the 19th.

A few neon tetras have died in this process. The rest of the school seems to either be getting worse or at the very least not better. It is my understanding that the spots aren’t actually the parasite but scars left by one, but they sure are acting ill.

Should I retreat, try a different product , or are these fish just injured from the now-gone infestation?

Most other fish seem fine: angels, fruit tetras, betta, all seemed to not have issues at all.
    We had such a happy tank for so long :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2019
  2. GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

The white spots are where the parasite has latched onto the fish. The white spot is not the parasite itself, but the fish's reaction. When the white spots fall off, they sink to the bottom, form cysts, then burst, sending zillions of little nasties into the water column. Most of the ich life cycle is not visible, so you have to treat for whatever duration of the treatment you're using.

By the time you see ich on your fish, the parasite has been present for some time. Also, ich is frequently the result of bad water parameters, therefore other ailments are often present. Have you tested your water?

3. TonikoNew MemberMember

Yes, all parameters were in normal range. We had a new fish recently though :/

4. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Do you have any pictures? Do you know your water parameters? Ich usually attacks weak or stressed fish. Were the neons newly added or have the angels been chasing them or something? Also what temperature did you raise it to? 86 degree heat can kill ich. If your temperature is high I'd advise getting an airstones as oxygen doesn't keep well in hotter water.

Ich can take up to two weeks to cure. It can only be killed during the free swimming stage as far as I'm aware. Even after spots dissappear the treatment should continue for a few days. Have you been gravel vacuuming during your water changes? I've never had to deal with it myself, but I've heard gravel vacs should be done daily. I've seen meds with malachite green recommended, so that med could be fine.

5. TonikoNew MemberMember

Should I retreat with the same product? Is there something more effective out there?

6. Oliver1209Valued MemberMember

Fish may heal, better not to obses though. The outcome is irrelevant. Your enjoyment of the journey is what matters.

7. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Heat is the best treatment. Two weeks at 86 degrees F. If they have spots they still have it.

8. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

It is too late this time but normally medications recommend removing carbon not remove filters. By removing and then replacing your filters you did throw away some of the bacteria that was keeping your tank healthy.

I am assuming you are using the drop in cartridges. In the future instead of removing the cartridge just cut a slit in the fiber, dump the carbon out and put the carbon-less cartridge back in the filter. By doing it this way you will be preserving the bacteria necessary for a healthy cycled tank.