Help Ich suspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linni93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a growing suspicion that my fish are starting to get ich. They are rubbing/scratching themselves against the plants and decoration, and one of my platies seems to have two white spots on its tailfin, at least it looks like it...

I want to start treating it by raising the temp gradually to prevent a serious outbreak. I have read that I should add extra aeriation, but I have an internal Hagen Fluval plus filter that spits out air bubbles. Will this be enough? I don't want to spend a lot of money on airstones and an airpump if I don't need it... But if I have to, I will.
Is there anything else I should do/consider when treating ich? Will it disappear even if I don't use medicine?
I'm just worried about my precious fish and fry :-\

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning linni,

Increasing the tank temperature to 86 and leaving it there for a full two week period should rid the tank of ICH. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. If you have sufficient surface water movement then an air stone may not be necessary. It sounds like you have a good bit.

Yes, the ICH should die off without the use of medications during these two weeks. Note, ICH may appear worse before it gets better. I only suggest medications as a last resort. I'm sure others can help you with medicines if it gets to that point.

If your fish do have ICH they will appear to have been sprinkled with salt. Flashing (rubbing on plants and ornaments) can be a sign of ICH if they are doing it over and over and over. Sometimes fish do just have an itch they need to scratch. However, if everyone is doing it then I'd be concerned.

Best wishes!

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ken has you covered, he gave me this method a few months back, and it does work (mines worked first time, and there has been no reoccurrence at all)! Do make sure to keep the temp up there though, even during water changes, which you should keep up as normal in addition to the gravel vacs.

Good luck!

OP
L

Linni93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok, thanks
but is there any way to protect the fish against stress that the high temp might possibly cause? I don't want them to be cured only to die from the treatment...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Linni,

Your fish should be fine in the raised temperature for the two weeks. I have yet to see anyone say that their fish were lost due to the heat increase to 86. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day.

Best of luck!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 20.2%

Top Bottom