Ich = stressed fish?

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Here's an odd question regarding this infamous aquarium pest...but first some backstory. Saturday I returned my new paradise fish when it became clear that my persian killifishes were fin nipping him mercilessly. Shortly after I got home...I noticed some of the killies had ich :( not a very bad case, but it was definitely there. I began treatment later the same day (namely, I increased the water temperature to the mid 70's and added ich medicine) and the ich appears to be rapidly clearing up, though I am going to keep treating for ich until Monday the 4th of November just in case.

Anyhow, here is my question...will fish sooner or later pick up ich if it is present in the tank, regardless of stress levels, or is its appearance a sign you did something wrong at some point? I would have expected the visibly stressed out paradise fish to have picked up ich (inasmuch as I have not had an ich outbreak in this tank before and thus he probably brought it with him) but I never saw any signs of it, while the seemingly healthy, happy persian killies fell ill with it. I did lose a persian killifish to a water change the day before...it just reacted badly to the water change and died by the next morning, but it had no signs of ich and the other fish were seemingly unfazed by the water change. Thanks.

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's very likely that the paradise fish had Ich when you introduced it to the tank. It's not always visible, particularly in the early stages.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
GlennO said:
It's very likely that the paradise fish had Ich when you introduced it to the tank. It's not always visible, particularly in the early stages.
Yeah, I know...I meant to QT it, but I - for some hair brained reason - tried to make the QT tank a dirted tank and messed it up badly in my haste, so I didn't have a lot of options. Should have never purchased him...

Anyhow, my question is more whether that error would have inevitably gotten the persian killies sick with ich or whether their succumbing to it implies I stressed them out at some point. Some articles I have read claim that healthy fish will not get ich unless stressed, while others suggest that if it is present it will sooner or later infect even healthy, unstressed fish. I want to make sure I am not needlessly stressing my fish.

Leilio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I thought stress makes fish more prone to disease, and disease doesn't always mean that they are stressed. Using humans as an analogy, stressful humans tend to get cold more easily, but healthy one gets them occasionally, too.

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience it can infect healthy fish, though they are more resistant to it, and some species are more susceptible than others. Stressed fish may be less resistant, may succumb more quickly and be less likely to recover. I do not believe that Ich is always present. I know some people believe this and I’m open to the possibility but it has not been my experience. I’ve been keeping fish for decades and have had to deal with Ich on several occasions. In each case it followed the introduction of new fish. I’ve never had it otherwise just ‘appear’ in an established tank.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
GlennO said:
In my experience it can infect healthy fish, though they are more resistant to it, and some species are more susceptible than others. Stressed fish may be less resistant, may succumb more quickly and be less likely to recover. I do not believe that Ich is always present. I know some people believe this and I’m open to the possibility but it has not been my experience. I’ve been keeping fish for decades and have had to deal with Ich on several occasions. In each case it followed the introduction of new fish. I’ve never had it otherwise just ‘appear’ in an established tank.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it hitchhiked on the paradise fish...this tank has never had ich in the time it has been set up. Anyhow, that answers my question nicely...thanks :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It very well could have come with the paradise fish. Ick will attack any fish healthy or well. So the only way you can get it is by it hitchhiking in on something or by a sudden temperature drop.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Agreed...as the ill fishes are persian killifishes (which are tolerant of a wide temperature range from the mid 30's to 90 degrees) and no sudden temperature changes occurred before the ich started, I blame the paradise fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom