Help Ich still!?

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I’ve been treating for ich for about a week and a half now. Aquarium salt, raised temp, metroplex and kanaplex. I don’t see any white spots on my fish at all yet they’re all flashing? It’s not constant and it’s only up against my live plants. I’ve been doing partial water changes every 2 days as I redose medication. Water chemistry shows nothing to be worried about. I do have some brown algae but that should be non harmful. I have a 15 gallon column with some white clouds and guppy. 9 total fish. Idk if they’re playing and seeing each other do it and then the others follow? Or if they still have ich ): Btw all appetites are good no heavy breathing or worrisome behavior besides occasional flashing

Oh and medicated food as well

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Was there visible signs of Ich to begin with? I don't think that Metroplex & Kanaplex are ideal treatments for Ich, but heat alone should work. What temp did you raise it to?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Uhhhhh I don't want to be rude but could it be you're killing your fish and filterbacteria by using the wrong meds and methods to treat this pretty easy to treat disease?

Salt and probably ammonia / nitrites are irritating the fish's skin.

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GlennO said:
Was there visible signs of Ich to begin with? I don't think that Metroplex & Kanaplex are ideal treatments for Ich, but heat alone should work. What temp did you raise it to?
82 and oh I was told and it reads as treatment for ich and velvet /: confusing and the kanaplex is bacterial because again I was told bacterial infection almost always happens with ich after the parasites fall off

GlennO said:
And yes there was lots of white spots I lost 5 tetra to it and my ottos ): (I treated them half dose but it didn’t kill the ich and they passed) now there are none but still flashing

I have super ich cure would that be better?

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ren1920 said:
82 and oh I was told and it reads as treatment for ich and velvet /: confusing and the kanaplex is bacterial because again I was told bacterial infection almost always happens with ich after the parasites fall off
82 is too low to kill ich. It needs 86-ish to kill, so I guess the osmotic pressure caused by salt was enough still if no white spots. Also medicated food is typically for intestinal problems rather than skin problems. But I agree with the point @DoubleDutch brought up about skin irritation.
Edit: the heat and salt is enough to kill ich, you don't need to use medicine along with it

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes an Ich specific treatment would be better. Whilst Seachem includes Ich as a disease that can be treated with Metro I don't think it's very effective. As above, if you raise the temp to 86+ you should not need to medicate. Just do one or the other.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Madchild57 said:
82 is too low to kill ich. It needs 86-ish to kill, so I guess the osmotic pressure caused by salt was enough still if no white spots. Also medicated food is typically for intestinal problems rather than skin problems. But I agree with the point @DoubleDutch brought up about skin irritation.
Edit: the heat and salt is enough to kill ich, you don't need to use medicine along with it
Even only 86F is enough. Leace the salt.
So like Glenn mentioned : on or the other (heath or meds).

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Uhhhhh I don't want to be rude but could it be you're killing your fish and filterbacteria by using the wrong meds and methods to treat this pretty easy to treat disease?

Salt and probably ammonia / nitrites are irritating the fish's skin.
Heck ): I’m sorry I’ve been given a lot of different advice as I’m a newer fish owner and it’s hard for me to keep the temp high as my heater is preset at 78 so I’ve been using a room heater closer to the tank ): I’ll ditch the salt and the metro and kana and stick to super ich cure then

GlennO said:
Yes an Ich specific treatment would be better. Whilst Seachem includes Ich as a disease that can be treated with Metro I don't think it's very effective. As above, if you raise the temp to 86+ you should not need to medicate. Just do one or the other.
Again hard for me to keep the temp raised (stupid preset heater but I’m trying to keep it raised with a heater near the tank and stick with super ich. I apologize again I’ve been given so much different advice I was just trying my best ): so I’ll say goodbye to salt and med food and the kana and metro.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Where do you live Ren1920?
There are strains of ich in Australia that consider 86F / 30c to be a nice cool summers night.

Heat will not kill all ich gentlemen.

Malachite Green is THE active ingredient recommended to kill this parasite.

Sorry if I am confusing the situation Ren1920 but I can’t stand by if by chance you are an Australian?

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Flyfisha said:
There are strains of ich in Australia that consider 86F / 30c to be a nice cool summers night.

Sorry if I am confusing the situation Ren1920 but I can’t stand by if by chance you are an Australian?
I live in Arizona in America very very hot here days are 113 recently with lows of 103. So super ich then you think? I might have the evil Australian kind since it’s so hot here /:

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flyfisha said:

Super Ich Cure contains malachite green I think. You're right about Ich in Aus, I will use meds not heat if I encounter it again. Heat resistant strains seem to be less of an issue elsewhere given how often members here recommend heat.

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GlennO said:
Super Ich Cure contains malachite green I think. You're right about Ich in Aus, I will use meds not heat if I encounter it again. Heat resistant strains seem to be less of an issue elsewhere given how often members here recommend heat.
I’m assuming since I live in such a hot state I might have the heat resistant strain too /: on that note I will use super ich cure instead of everything else

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got a new heater and setting it to 86 for a week or so and seeing how things go :)

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom